Fuel Tank Repair

Has anyone ever tried using fuel tank sealer on a sludged up gas tank?

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

I have cleaned and sealed many fuel tanks over the decades... with marginal success for the money paid out for the sealer. And having suffered the total pita of clogged lines due to the sealer coming loose.........Very expensive sealer with impeccable prep... My personal preference for fuel tanks is to take it out and take it to a radiator shop for cleaning and let them seal it up. Easier, safer, and a better result for the money spent. Jeff

"Michael - Roseland FL" wrote...

***
Reply to
Jeff Rice

For what it is worth I did my car last summer and it seems to be holding so far. About the only problem is that I buggered my fuel gauge sender. I have a replacement but I don't want to drop the tank again anytime soon. The amount of nasty stuff I got out of that tank shocked me.

Reply to
NAV

My experiecne as well. I agree totally. Depending what kit you might get to D-I-Y. You can pay a bit more to save alot of grief and mess. Maybe even get a warrantee.

Reply to
Rat Hawk

what kind of car do you have? most Studes have a handy little hole in the trunk allowing access to the sender without dropping the tank.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
N8N

gas tank renu in pennsylvania

Reply to
oldcarfart

'41 Champion. There is no hole. Dropping the tank is not a big deal but after last summer's chain of old car problems I am really want to spend more time in the car than under it.

Reply to
NAV