Good coupe day!

Got my new custom driveshaft on Monday... brought it over to JP's this AM and installed it in car. found that slip yoke that builder sent was shorter than my old one, and used Mechanics style U-joints, not Spicer, so I swapped my old one onto the front of the new shaft. Installed, went for a test drive. I still haven't tried a "full- effort" acceleration run yet but a) I can now accelerate reasonably hard and go over speed bumps without making awful noises and b) I'm QUITE happy with the difference in acceleration between old drivetrain and new (old - std. 289, FOM, 3.31:1 new- R1, wide ratio 4-speed,

3.73.1 TT) there's quite a bog when the secondaries open at low speed in second gear - not sure if the air valve is opening too soon or too late - but once it kicks in, it's got a little bit of snap to it. I like it!

Also, check this out - I just found these on a web search this AM.

I don't know if this is a new product or I just somehow missed them when I was looking for some hub caps last year, but I think this would look quite nice with trim rings on my car (don't want to use the stock hubcaps b/c that would cover up the cooling holes in my wheels)

I guess the next order of business is to wait until JP gets the truck out, then set up the pinion angle properly - then start carb tuning. Fun stuff!

nate

Reply to
N8N

Nate what carb? If it's an AFB or Edelbrock the air valve won't open too soon, which would cause the bog, no real adjustment on them just the demand of the engine forcing the valve open. Where's the timing?

ErnieR

Reply to
Big E

Ernie,

it's an Edelbrock Thunder Series nee Carter AVS so there *is* an air valve adjustment - it is spring loaded instead of counterweighted. Timing should be at or near factory spec although I can't say about the advance curve - it's whatever Dave Thibeault dialed into the distributor. I probably should recheck with a light at some point, but I had to get to the point where I could use more than light throttle when accelerating first :)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I keep forgetting about that carb, and I have one waiting to go on my ZZ4 El Camino, DUH! Never Mind (G)

ErnieR

Reply to
Big E