Headlight bulb question for the experts.

I was looking to replace the headlight bulbs in my 62 with the halogen sealbeam replacements. The bulb packaging states that the #1 bulb is 35/35 watts (35 on low and 35 on high) and the #2 bulb is 50 watts. On low beam you would have a total of 70 watts and in theory that equals .7 amp and on high beam you would have 170 watts at 1.7 amps. I think I'm missing something here :). My question is; does a relay need to be wired in? Thanks Ron

Reply to
Ron Butts

Yes, you should install one. Take the load off the stock circuit and switch. It's an easy install, too. Jeff

"R>I was looking to replace the headlight bulbs in my 62 with the halogen

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Headlight relay is always a good idea so you don't have full current going through the switch.

R> I was looking to replace the headlight bulbs in my 62 with the halogen

Reply to
Pat Drnec

Since your car is already delightfully non-stock, I would do the relays anyway. You will be pleasantly surprised by the increase in brightness. I have a relay harness on the 944 and it makes a world of difference; even with just 60W high beams (7" round Cibie H4s.) I actually have a set of 90/100W bulbs that I never installed because I don't need them.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I installed quad halogens on my Wagonaire and I can't run them on brights for more than a couple minutes before the breaker throws. A relay setup is in my future. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Your math is off. I=P/E or 70 watts/12 Volts = 5.8 amps.low beam.

14.16 amps > I was looking to replace the headlight bulbs in my 62 with the halogen
Reply to
John Poulos

You're right. I had a brain fart. I knew it didn't look right, but I knew someone would correct me :) Anywho, you all talked me into the relays. The bulbs are in and I will wire in the relays tomorrow, right now, it's 5 o-clock somewhere...........popatop! Ron

Reply to
Ron Butts

12 volt? 70 watt ? 12= 5.9 a 170 w is 14+ amps assuming 12 volts

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

You won't be sorry. Use heavy gauge wire and take your power straight from the alternator. Also you might want to run separate grounds back to the alternator case.

Once you're done with that, you might want to check out some H4/H1 E-code reflectors for the ulitmate in lighting. A little spendy but well worth it. You'll *want* to drive at night just so you can find a dark, deserted road, kick on the high beams, and giggle like a little girl at how ludicrously well they work. I used to commute on such a road and when I did the above to my daily driver, my max comfortable speed went from about 40 MPH to "as fast as I wanna go."

nate

R> You're right. I had a brain fart. I knew it didn't look right, but I knew

Reply to
N8N

lol, i got an alternator, IF the run i under 4 feet, use #2, otherwise use 0.

10? lets all the smoke out --Shiva--
Reply to
me