I love this place 2

Speaking of being saved on the road.... I was on my way home from SanFrancisco to Sacramento in my R1 four speed powered 54 Coupe when about half way home I noticed that my front end was getting quite squirrely at lower speeds. ( I normally drive about 75 on this trip ). I pulled into a F**d dealer in Vacaville to see if they could help me out. WOW what a deal. They let me borrow a floor jack to pull off my right front wheel. Sure enough the outer wheel bearing was chewed up pretty bad. Not only did they help with a couple of tools to get the job done, but they had the front wheel bearing in stock to fix it. The front outer wheel bearings are the same for the Stude as they are for several F**d models. I know for sure they are the same as the Galaxie of 68 since that was the disc brake rotor I had on my car at the time. (still do). The whole ordeal took about 2 hours and $20 to fix. The fun part was that the F**d mechanics kept coming out of the shop to check on my progress and to check out the car. Most of them were incredulous to think that I could fix a problem like that with not much more than a couple of wrenches and a screwdriver. Shadetree mechanic experience does come in handy on the side of the road. I even made it home for dinner that evening. I hate to imagine what could have happened had I dropped that bearing anywhere else on the trip. The towing bill would have been hundreds of dollars at best. Quite a lucky day and Studebaker know-how saves the day.

Reply to
salstude

Transtar60

Excellent!

No one driving a Studebaker for long distance should not go without basic spare parts to include, alternator, starter, fuel pump and distributor. Add to the mix one set of wheel bearings, fluids, belts and of course an adequate tool kit/jack.

Chances are if it is a well maintained vehicle, nothing will happen but if...

JT

(Who got stuck overnight in Nashville due to a bad fuel pump, (it was new!))

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I fully agree, JT. I've only been left on the side of the road twice in a Stude... both times it was the same car and within 2 weeks of each other and within the first 2 weeks of ownership.

The first was a tapered axle shaft failure... no quick-fix for that but, luckily, no one was hurt and no damage to the car other than the axle shaft.

The second was a distributor failure (shaft broke) about 200 miles from home. I had the fuel pump, water pump, and all the other assorted goodies in the trunk but left my NEW distributor sitting on the shelf. Ended up renting a car for a day to run home and get it

After that, I drove the car on many 1000-2000 mile trips and never had a bit of trouble with it. It WAS well-maintained.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Do the Ford and Jeep front wheel bearings mentioned fit all Studes? (eg. my

62 Hawk)

John

Reply to
62hawk

Going by the NAPA website, they list the same bearings. BRG Br6 for the inner and BRG Br2 for the outer.

62hawk wrote:
Reply to
Transtar60

They're all the same 56-up. earlier cars used a different inner bearing and grease seal.

nate

Reply to
N8N