Lokar shift kit

This year we spent HUGE bucks having the 700R4 transmission redone on Peter's Champ. On the way back from South Bend we experienced some problems with lock up. We had to rock the truck to get the transmission out of park. Peter called the shop and they said the Lokar shifter (same one that was on the transmission when we took the truck in for a rebuild) is a load of crap, one of the worst on the market, yada, yada, yada.

We drove this same truck to Omaha with the same shifter on the trash transmission, towing a trailer, and never had a problem with lock up.

Has anyone else had not-so-good experiences with Lokar, or is the transmission shop trying to blow us off?

Judy

Reply to
Judy Sauer

I had the BowTie TV adaptor on my Stude and took it off. It was way too sensitive, and if I adjusted it the other way it didn't shift right that was either. It seemed to work fine when I had my Edelbock carb in the stock hole.

Reply to
ALEX M.

Yes, it is. Here the diagram of the proper hook up.

transmission

begin 666 tv1-1.JPG M_]C_X `02D9)1@`!`0$`R #(``#_VP!#``@&!@:0\=*7-%+BBBBBC/--#9-+GC-&>:,T9 M_#ZT9XHS^7K1FC- .:,T9HR,9HR,T9]J3>,^U*&S1D?K1D?_`*J, M^O'UI-PHW>O'XBEW#-+3=XI=P_KS06 %-W>G_76D'@71!CYM6!'3&LWG_P`=H/@; M1CG,NL'_`+C5Y_\`'::O@714+;6U4;NO_$XN_P#X[]/RIQ\#Z0>/.U?&,?\` M(9O/_CM2KX1TU0P\_56#==^K73?SD-3?\(OIO_3X1GO?3_\`QY?!.C7+%I M?[08D8_Y"5P/Y25&W@#P^S9,-[G&/^0C

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

When TV cable was mentioned, I was thinking the connection from the carb to the gas pedal, not from the carb to the transmission. That's their baby, and if they screwed up, they'll be the ones to fix it.

I had a look at the bill from the transmission shop - it was actually just over $4100, still a lot of money. The transmission and cooler were just over $2,000, the rest was labour to fix other bits of stuff that were wrong and would cause us grief down the road (like the drive shaft was too long). Oh yes, and damned near $500 in taxes. Labour rate was $75.50 an hour. I haven't taken a car to a shop in a long time, so I don't know if that's good, bad or hideous.

The 700 was originally installed by a shade tree mechanic Peter knows, who is not overly familiar with Studebakers, but certainly knows his way around engines. Probably not the best choice, but Peter was trying to save a bit of money.

Lesson learned.

Jerry Forrester wrote:

Reply to
Judy Sauer

Your $2000 for trans R&R is not out of line and neither is the $75.50 an hour. I'm a sales manager at a new car dealer and labor rates in northern NJ are $100+ an hour. I was the "shadetree mecahnic" that installed my 700R4 and learned some expensive lessons also. Part of the hobby.

It all seems worth it when it's a beautiful day and the car/truck is running right. Money doesn't seem to matter as much then(G).

ErnieR

Reply to
Big E

$1400 to $1700 sounds like the right number. If I were going to even think about $4500, I would be talking to Art Carr in Cali. You could even go to a

4L60E, purchase a compu-shift ECM (tunable too) to make it shift, and still be way under $4500. You'd be saying bye bye to the TV cable too. We just bought a 4L60E from a local junk yard with 45,000 miles on it, paid $800, and got a 60 day warranty. Hard to hurt a trans in 45K! I think someone saw you coming. You need to do your homework before you drop your pants to these clowns.
Reply to
dwcars