Macanical puzzler, sortof OT

In San Jose, I lived in a neighborhood of mid-1950s houses. Many occupations: Retired, wallboard installers, car side stripe installer (free-lance), Baker, Bank VP, sandwich shop owner, Dean of Admissions at State College, welder, waiter and so on. Lot's of friendly talent and we did many activities together.

On Saturday, I wandered over to Bill, a top-notch mechanic for Waste Dosposal. He was so good he was in the Truck Repair Olympics every time, usually getting up to the regionals or state challanges. (FYI Each run-off gabage truck is rigged with six faults. The first to find 'em, fix 'em and drive over the line wins and goes on. IIRC) Bill had Sue's Buick Apollo dashbord torn apart and scattered all over the inside of the car. "What's up?" "Sue said she can't get any heat - and dammit, she's right!. Just defrost. "Bill, go get me a beer." (One of the major brewing firms had disposed of their out-of-date beer and Bill and the boys had pulled it out of the dump. Bill had a 6' double stack of cases of MGD) Bill got us both a cold one and when he got back, I pointed at something and said, "There's your problem." OK What was it? You have all the info you need. (I sent this to Car Talk, but I don't think that they ran it.)

No prizes, just bragging rights. Karl

Reply to
midlant

Vacuum hose broken or disconnected from source to controller or from controller to the canister that moves the air door.

Ernie R

Reply to
Big E

BINGO! (Split hose near engine, actually.)

Hire this guy, someone

Karl

Reply to
midlant

I remember as a kid in the 50-60s avidly reading the "garage" stories in the Pop Sci & similar mags.

Jim Bartley on PEI-that and the King Midget ads in the back

Reply to
George

Working with blown diesels, Bill hadn't seen any6 vacuum for years, except when cleaning up the shop, I guess. Ihad read about the system in that car and bells rang as soon as he mentioned the prolem.

Karl

Reply to
midlant