Re: (OT:) Why do I have such a strong dislike for Ragheads?

> Ummm... Saudi & Bush connections anyone?

Sure. Saudi/Clinton, Saudi/Bush 41, Saudi/Reagan, Saudi/Carter connections as well?

Reply to
witfal

It's not our elected officials as much as it is the American oil companies. That's the thread. Our presidents, in fact all out politicians, have to kiss big businesss ass to get elected.

Think about public-funded elections with spending caps. These used car salemen that aspire to elected office will have to curry our favor. That would be something to see.

Reply to
Fartus Ignitus

It's good to own a lot of oil.

Reply to
beerspill

Pretty much can put you in the driver's seat, no pun intended.

Reply to
witfal

The campaign of Arizona's current governor, Janet Napalitano, was funded almost entirely from our voluntary public funded system. The way it's set up here, candidates who want that public money have to raise the first $1,000 themselves, taking no more than $5 per person. One state legislator who volunteered to run under this system exceeded the spending limits and was both removed from office and put in jail. It's too bad that the voters of California rejected a very similar measure last year.

About twenty years ago, we had a governor, Ev Mecham, who was a used car salesman (also sold new Pontiacs), but he was kicked out of office because a successful recall campaign led by an openly gay Republican gave our legislature the courage to impeach and convict him over $80,000 worth of campaign donations (not a big deal - he merely wanted to keep the money for his next campaign, the AG said he had to give them back or to his party) before the recall election could be held. His elected successor was a far bigger crook, but Bill Clinton pardoned him.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly