mallory unilite install

has anyone done one of these? I am putting one in my car and I want to know what to do with the red wire.. vis a vis the pink wire. ??? does the red wire just attach to the pos. teminal of the coil or does it need to go to some place else? the brown wire is ground, the green is to the neg. terminal.

the unit is in but I don't want to fire it untill I get this right. any help is helpful. Rich

Reply to
am not r2

I suspect the red has to go to a ignition source of a full 12 volts, not the lower voltage from the pink resistance wire. You may need to run a new wire.

am not r2 wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

I don't know about Mallory Unilites but pink (pink, not red) wires are usually a thermistor type, that drop voltage as they heat up, in use. Usually connected from the IGN to the +Coil. If your coil requires an external resistor, the pink wire is it. If the coil has an internal resistor, then wire it direct to the IGN using ordinary #14 wire.

Reply to
silverstude

well I attached it to the pos and I will not light off. I think it is possable I am y be off a tooth or I got the wires off 180 at the transfer. I gotta find the wire diagram in the manual to check this....I have the books I just need to find that diagram

Reply to
am not r2

The power to the coil is not his issue, it's to the Mallory.

silverstude wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

It needs 12 volts as I suggested, here's the wiring:

>>> has anyone done one of these? I am putting one in my car and I want to

Reply to
John Poulos

no J.P. I misspoke...I may have the plug wires off 180 degrees. the red line I will try at a full 12 volts. thank you.Rich

Reply to
am not r2

sorry JP what I meant was I may have the plug wires off 180degrees. the wiring i was looking for was the spark plug diagram. to see if I flipped it. I will try the full 12 volts too. thanks Rich

Reply to
am not r2

Does this help?

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

Definitly do not hook it to full 12 volts. I will explain below in John's post with the wiring diagram.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

I have this Safeguard unit. Notice that it is doing the distributor triggering, not the Unilite. The Safeguard is designed for a full twelve volts. The Safeguard owner warned me not to use the Unilite with a full 12 volts if the Safeguard was ever bypassed for any reason.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno