Range Rover Classic Radio Connections

I have bought a 1990 Vogue EFI 3.9 Auto.

My problem lies in the fact that the last owner decided to take his radio with him. The trouble is instead of normally disconnecting it he cut the wires to get it out!

I have bought a JVC radio/cd to put in. The trouble is I dont know what to connect to where. There are just the bare wires in the dash radio slot.

Could someone help to identify the wires and give me a clue on how I can get the new unit fitted.

Thanks

Treva

Reply to
Treva

you've got a couple of options here i think.

The "proper" way of doing it is probably to use the manuals wiring diagram to give you the wires you need, and then check with a test meter. to link up with the ones you have on your new head unit.

The easiest thingto do is to jsut wire it up in your own way if you feel confident enough not to set the thing on fire. I've recently just put another CD player in my 90. It has only required a permanent feed for the memory of the radio, a feed which is live when the ignition is turned on and then a good earth. All thats left then is the speaker wires. Most of the stuff on the back of your new unit is not needed. Have a look at your new units instructions and eliminate the ones you do not need (dont cut em off!!)

The only problem i can envisage you having is that the new unit probably is wored for 4 speakers where your vehicle probably has more speakers. the proper way to do it would be to buy a crossover unit to separate the feed the speakers. Or you could buy an amp to give it a bit more poke.

Or you could jsut take it to an autoelectrician who will do the job quickly for you, and with this option you will at least have some comback if you have any problems with it

Dave

Reply to
Dave Reynolds

Hi Treva,

Here is the colour code for the '94 Rangie - had the same problem when I got mine. Power connections:

Mauve Unswitched permanent battery live

Green/Orange Switched live (ignition pos. 1 and 2)

Black Ground

Red/Brown Illumination

Speaker connections:

Black/White Left front +

Black/Brown Left front -

Black/Pink Right front +

Black/Red Right front -

Black/Yellow Left rear +

Black/Orange Left rear -

Black/Green Right rear +

Black/Blue Right rear -

Subwoofer amplifier wiring: (not sure if yours has this or not)

Power connections:

Mauve/Yellow Switching feed to activate subwoofer

Green/Orange Switched live (ignition pos. 1 and 2)

Black Ground

Audio connections:

Black Left signal to subwoofer

Red Right signal to subwoofer