Merger failure

Church merger fails.

In England, I had the good fortune to meet a great chap at a civic function. He was a theologian and a member of the Church of England. We share a love for automobiles, the English language, puns and the foilbles of humankind.

I got an e-mail from him today with some ineresting news. He was appointed to a secret committee to work with delegates from The Vatican and several Eastern Orthodox religions to see if they could find enough common ground to allow a merger. All was going well until it come to the liturgy. No matter how much each religion was willing to give, no common liturgy could be agreed, so the merger talks failed and he was free to tell me - another failure of humanity.

Yes, it was a result of the missal gap..

Karl

Reply to
midlant

Karl,

I know the issues that your friend mentions. I come from a Roman Catholic mother and a Gree Orthodox father. Family gatherings such as weddings, christenings, and funerals were, to say teh least, very interesting. I remember one family discussion at dinner in particular. We were talking about the liturgy as it applies to the Trinity. Needless to say, I was dumbfounded when the dinner landed on the ceiling and the dining room table was in shambles, literally!!! I can envision that episode as if it happened only yesterday. Religiously, I am very tolerant of others! Flathead

Reply to
FlatheadGeo

If they started thowing the books at each other would that have been guided missals? (:-)

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

two very good and subtle puns.

Jim Bartley on PEI (like Ecumenism, puns are so ofter either a hit...or missal)

Reply to
George

I was dumbfounded when the dinner landed on the

Sounds like it could be the makings of a new series of the old early seventies sitcom, 'Briget Loves Bernie'! (She was Roman Catholic and he was Jewish)

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Parslow

Good grief. That was a good groooooooaner. As far as the failure of a group of learned religious leaders unable to come upon a liturgy I feel the need to respond in this manner. I too came from a Roman Catholic back round. Now I call myself a recovering Catholic with an open mind on religion because I know that I don't have all the answers, but being human, I have come upon a few observations that seem to me to be a universal truth. But not the only truth. During the service in the early '70s I searched out a few non traditional religions just to see what was out there. Eventually I came to two conclusions. One: God is God no matter who u are, or how u perceive him to be. Two, he doesn't care, and probably dislikes, the fact that we let our human egos and emotions get in the way, via organized religions, of the simple fact that we are all searching for the same things, and worshiping the same God. Nobody on this planet can say that they are the one and only true religion, simply because, if for not other reason, we are humans with very limited knowledge on something that we can not see or touch. Religion is a very, very touchy subject that I don't normally talk about because of the volatility. Hopefully the folks who get involved in this thread will do so in spirit of good discussion containing some their emotions and try to see things in a more universal sense. And definitely be adult enough to not result in name calling.

Reply to
Pckstude

Pckstude,

Amen!!!

Flathead

Reply to
FlatheadGeo

Good Lord, I try to flesh out a simple pun that popped into my mind by putting in a fictional freind in England and a minor car connection and it turns into a pun thread, with "True Confessions" thrown in.

Karl

PS, a thread on one pun group I once stumbled upon had a thread with over a thousand entries. I haven't gone back.

Karl

Reply to
midlant

Guess I took it too seriously. I will remember that the next time,,, lol

Reply to
Pckstude

Mea culpa! Flathead

Reply to