News story about rip-offs at Jiffy Lube in CA

Be careful where you take your car for maintenance! Immigrant rip-off artists caught on camera. Click here for video.

Click

Reply to
Barry

Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click Click

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Reply to
John Poulos

It must happen across the country (or is just a Left Coast phenomenon?) I usually change the oil in our family cars myself, but my son had to unexpectedly leave town so I went to Jiffy Lube with a $19.99 coupon. This was three years ago. They claimed "There is a major oil leak from the oil pan." "Where exactly is the leak?" "We can't tell you." "Why not?" "Company policy." They wanted $200-300 to fix it, so of course I declined. This is the son who can't even remember to check the oil so I do it occassionally. May use a quart when he's gone 5,000 miles without a change!

Major oil leak my eye!

Reply to
dennisandgayle

How this company stays in business is beyond me. Do people actually look at the guys doing the work? I wouldn't let 99.9% of them vacuum my floormats, let alone touch anything in the engine compartment.

I take my truck to the dealership where I get the oil and filter changed, tires rotated, fluids checked/topped off and air filter changed for $25.99 in less than 29 minutes or it's free. Plus it shows on their records that everything ever done to the truck has been done by the dealership, just in case there is any problem or question down the road. I used to do oil changes myself but couldn't buy all the supplies and dispose of the used oil for much less than what they charge.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Reply to
John Poulos

I still love the time they told me my trans oil was too thin! LOL

Reply to
Mike Williams

I still don't know why anyone still patronizes JL... at least one female friend refused my offer to find her a good mechanic saying "an oil change is not difficult so why should I have to pay 'good mechanic' prices?" um... because the good mechanic won't screw it up. I haven't been to a JL in at least 5 years because the couple times I used them they always put in the wrong viscosity oil (could hear it when they put

10W30 in a VW, the lifters would tick when hot) and the last time was when they filled my windshield washer bottle with either water or fluid so cut with water that it made no difference, right before I left to go home for Xmas (of course, the bottle froze on the PA Turnpike and I was cussing them the whole way.)

I even offered to change her oil myself but she thought I was being silly. Oh well, it's her car. Hope she calls me before accepting any of their "extras" at least.

nate

Mike Williams wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel
*ahem,* "pwned."

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Dutch

You mean not a native AMERICAN in sight. An immigrant is a person born in another country in case you didn't know, JP. Like the rest of us, those native Americans' ancestors immigrated here from elsewhere, unless you believe they were created on this continent. BH

Reply to
Barry

In Britain, rip-offer folks are called "Cowboys." I think that that term, when used for the implied occupation, exists only in North America and I also think that both definitions apply here.

It probably started out used for the temporary ones taken on for the cattle drives, not those who worked for the ranch as a nomal job.

Karl

Reply to
midlant

Well, they immigrated in from Asia a few thousands years back, so you may have a point. I noticed a Hispanic, a black guy and a and white guy ripping folks off in the videos. Is your point that we look for Jiffy Lubes run by folks with a Asian roots, since I saw none, or is there another preferred race, religion, or background ? Is the cure for criminal behavior passed on to the first generation born in the USA, or will it start with my son, or his off spring ? My mom and dad were immigrates but for some reason avoided criminal behavior as far as I know.

. An immigrant is a person born in

Reply to
John Poulos

I'm not sayin' anything! I'm not sayin' anything! I'm not sayin' anything! I'm not sayin' anything! I'm not sayin' anything! I'm not sayin' anything! I'm not sayin' anything! I'm not sayin' anything! I'm not sayin' anything! I'm not sayin' anything! I'm not sayin' anything! I'm not sayin' anything! I'm not sayin' anything! I'm not sayin' anything! I'm not sayin' anything! I'm not sayin' anything!!!!

Ouch! My tongue hurts!!!

JT

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I have a suggestion for a more enjoyble way to get a sore tongue

Karl

Reply to
midlant

Sore, or just really tired?

Chip

Reply to
cjdaytonjrnospam

the dist manager was a guy named "Ayoob"

Reply to
Barry

Is that a name I need to watch out for ? I Goggled that name and got some far right cop type that you might agree with if he turned to be born in the USA:

Barry wrote:

JP/Maryland Studebaker On the Net

My Ebay items:
Daytona HT

64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper) 63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (Black) 63 R1 GT Hawk 63 Avanti R1 62 Daytona HT 62 Lark 2 door 60 Hawk
Reply to
John Poulos

John, are you applying for the Walmart, errr... Border Greeter?

"Hello, welcome to the United States... do you need a welfare card today? Social Security, food stamps, WIC and AFDC applications available at all checkout lanes. Section 8 housing, aisle 4, unemployment applications, aisle 6. Health insurance, don't need it... just visit your local Emergency Room... call for an ambulance if you do not have or can not afford transportation."

Of course you'd have to learn to repeat this in Spanish, because... well there's a joke about a cue ball in there somewhere.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

What does all that have to do with assuming country of origin, or last name is a indicator of potential fraud at a Jiffy Lube ?

Reply to
John Poulos

Your defense of every person mentioned, it's almost like a personal attack against you if a foreigner or immigrant is mentioned on any discussion here. The latest, Barry threw out some obscure Middle Eastern name and you Googled it until you found some right-wing extremest to throw back at him.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud