Not Studebaker, but auto related!

Let's ask these guys if they'd rather take their chances on a $150 junkyard engine, a new $3000+ battery pack, or a battery pack that tests good in a salvage yard for $1500+?

Reply to
Kevin Wolford

Yea... I shudda mentioned that the Honda was from the original owner and is ready to turn over to 160K..

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

my local Ford dealership has some good software..

in year XXXX, we had yyyy customers in the service dept-so many oil changes, and small stuff, and an average of YYY dollars per customer.. in 2006 their number of customers were down to 40% of previous year, BUT the average repair bill was over DOUBLE. these parts are UNREAL..

GM makes a certain car- the anti lock brake light comes on... the part is $800 and 45 minutes or less to install.. ignition lock? for Ford and GM? $60 to 200 plus install

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Gotcha beat. My 2002 Chevy TrailBlazer turned over 161K troublefree miles last week :-).

Reply to
Kevin Wolford

Did you buy it for less than $200?

JT

Kev> Gotcha beat. My 2002 Chevy TrailBlazer turned over 161K troublefree miles

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Quarter million dollar house? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA I wish I could find one that cheap.

nate

(this is a good part of the reason I'm so chea^H^H^H^Hfrugal when it comes to other things)

Reply to
N8N

You're just not looking in the right neighborhood.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

BUT NATE.. wages here according to the number crunchers, MEDIAN income is $12 an hour..MIGHTY steep house for $480 a week talking with a person that lives near LA.. $450k house, and what do they make as a bookkeeper? $45 an hour..

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

No. And with 161K miles, I won't sell it for less than $200 either. Sorry.

Reply to
Kevin Wolford

The newspaper reported the other day that Daimleris thinking about selling Its Chrysler Group due to its draw finances. I am waiting for a mid size V8 Manual Trany. Oh wait, I have 2 Studebakers in my Garage.

I drive a 2002 Ford Escape 4 Cyl w 5-Spd. and Full Time 4x4. I have a K&N Air Filter and a Cat Back system. It gets 24.5 mpg round town and I got 28.5 mpg at 70 to75 on the way to Tennessee last Fall. Not much left at those speeds but it runs like a champ.

Geno

64 R2 Avanti

64 Daytona Convertible

Reply to
jeep4cyl

I just can't believe how short some people's memories are!!! At one time, the automakers fought with one another to see who would supply which major car rental company with cars! Reason? To them it was a door to gain a potential customer with hardly any expense to the manuafactuer. Say you went on a business trip or vacation where you travelled by air to your destination and rented a car. You chose what you wanted to drive for the day; three days; week or whatever. To the automakers, it was an opportunity for their product to be 'test driven', and hopefully, the customer's impression was so favorable, he or she would consider that make of car when it was 'new car time'. Over the years almost everyone I know has had something to say about a car they rented while away, both good and bad. In fact, one of the salesman where I used to work in 1986 bought a new Taurus based on one he rented on a business trip a month earlier. To me, this is a sad sign of defeat for the industry to be turning down that missed opportunity for 'unsolicited test drives'. You can bet Hyundai and Kia are more than willling to fill in gap for GM and Ford now!!

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Parslow

I don't understand why GM and Ford viewed rental fleets this way; IME rental cars are usually bottom of the line, cheap plasticky horrible things that make me anxious to get home and drive a real car again. Certainly they've biased me AGAINST GM due to a particularly painful experience in a Grand Am... (at least I think it was a Grand Am, it was some plastic-clad Pontiac with seats worse than an Avanti. I literally had to be helped out of the car after two hours, my back was hurting so badly.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel