Okies OK in the bad ice?

I see on the news that Oklahoma is having serious ice. Hope all you guys are ok. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

I'm 22 miles west of Tulsa. And we have 3 inches of sleet. On the east side of Tulsa they have freezing rain. Lots of power lines down and tree limbs down. Dave is 40 miles west of me and I haven't heard from him yet. I have the tractor and 6 of the 7 vehicles under roof. The only one outside is the 56 Parkview. I've started taking it apart so it ain't moving. .

Reply to
studeluver

They indeed are and it is extending down into Texas as well. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Dave is without power. These things can be nasty as I remember a 1 inch ice storm back in RI in 1978 where I was without power for five days. Tore the damned electrical service wire clean off the house.

IT is expected that the current heavy rains (lots of flash flood warnings) in central Texas will begin to freeze in the Austin area beginning late tomorrow and could last through Wednesday morning.

I'm in hibernation mode... Had over five inches of rain overnight.

JT

Paul Johns> I see on the news that Oklahoma is having serious ice. Hope all you guys > are ok.

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Thanks, Paul. It's COLD, and the area looks like the frozen tundra! The highway department has been busy around the clock, so the roads are passable, but hazardous.

So far, so good. Actually, we are fortunate in my area, as so far, we have more in the way of sleet than ice. It has been coming in waves, so that is still subject to change. No major, long-term power outages that I am aware of.

As an emergency manager, I'm keeping an eye on the situation, with my fingers crossed. If we continue to get sleet or snow, instead of ice, and the winds don't get too bad, we may squeak by.

Looks like we are going to be in the deep freeze for a while. Below is the forecast in my area. Other areas are experiencing different variations of the frozen stuff and could be worse off.

Today... sleet...freezing rain and snow. snow and sleet accumulation up to

1 inch. ice accumulation of up to one quarter of an inch. highs in the mid 20s. north winds 10 to 15 mph.

Tonight... cloudy with sleet...freezing rain and snow likely. little or no snow and sleet accumulation. lows around 19. north winds around 10 mph. chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Sunday... snow...sleet and freezing rain. snow and sleet accumulation around 1 inch. ice accumulation of less than one quarter of an inch. highs in the mid 20s. north winds 10 to 15 mph.

Sunday night... mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow. lows around

  1. northwest winds around 15 mph with gusts to around 30 mph.

Martin Luther king jr day... partly sunny. highs in the mid 20s. north winds 15 to 20 mph.

Monday night and Tuesday... partly cloudy. lows around 7. highs in the upper 20s.

Tuesday night and Wednesday... mostly clear. lows around 3. highs in the lower 30s.

Wednesday night and Thursday... partly cloudy. lows around 14. highs in the upper 30s.

Thursday night and Friday... mostly cloudy. lows around 20. highs in the mid 40s.

Reply to
Dave Lester

Thanks for the concern. I am in South Tulsa. Full stock of groceries, generator on standby, 30 or 40 movies to choose from. 2nd wave of sleet just starting now. Not planning on going anywhere for the next few days.

Just watched "The Last King of Scotland". Great movie. Could not leave the screen.

jim

Reply to
jimandkathiekrise

East Tulsa is covered with sleet also about 3 1/2" of the stuff, been drving aroun town and the roads have gutters in them from the piled up sleet, but i didn't have too much of a problem getting around. lived here 63 years and never seen sleet like this.

Bob Whiten Wagonmaster

Wagonmaster

Round three is heading your way. It still can't decide what it wants to produce... ice, or sleet.

So far, so good here, but we are filling up water containers, and the generator is ready to go.

Reply to
Dave Lester

Hang in there Dave, Springs right around the corner,

Dave Lester wrote:

Reply to
Transtar60

Yeah.. Sure..... Repeat that tonight when it finally goes below freezing here with rain in the forecast!

I wanna move to a tropical island I tell ya!

JT

Transtar60 wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
Transtar60

Hurricanes and Tornados occur in the northern hemisphere. They are called Typhoons and Cyclones in the southern hemisphere, where the wind spins in the other direction. ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

We had a warm but damp day here today, but now (Sun.@ 10:00) things are beginning to cool down, and we expect sub-freezing temps + rain tomorrow & Tues. I may have to back out on pulling the watermelon float with my Stude this year!

Reply to
Barry

It was 8 degrees here (NW Texas...Lubbock area) this morning. It's supposed to cool off some more tonight. Thank goodness I don't live in Yellowstone with -28 this morning!

Reply to
Loy Daniel

Hey! Now it's only -3.5°C here in Fox Creek, AB. That's downright mild compared to a day ago.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond
68 degrees here in Md today.

Gord>> It was 8 degrees here (NW Texas...Lubbock area) this morning. It's supposed

compared to a day

Reply to
John Poulos

compared to a day

Would you kindly export some of that *warm* air down here pronto? The central Texas area is facing a serious ice event over the next 36 hours.

I expect power to go off at any time...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

You'll be getting yours!

JT

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

messagenews:1Puqh.388584$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...

Reply to
oldcarfart

Went north of us. New Yorkers and northeast are getting it. We're just cold (down to upper 20s tonight). Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

That's just wrong, we're supposed to be warmer here.

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Pat Drnec