OT- Hearses

Funeral homes pretty much have you by the balls at the time. Most people probably want to get in and out and don't think too much about how much everything costs... but it is a shock when they do add up everything. Even in small town ND, you can't get a basic funeral package for under $9000. And the state won't let you dig a hole and throw someone in it.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

The VA will provide the hole and dig it for me, I just need to get in the box. I thought about a burial at sea just to piss off the crew on some gray boat that has to go out to sea for the day.

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Will they take a body to sea? I just had an uncle buried at sea but he was cremated first.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Yes, they will:

"U. S Navy Program

The United States Navy offers a sea burial program free of charge for the following individuals:

Members of the uniformed services,

Retirees and veterans who were honorably discharged from any branch of the service.

Dependent family members of active duty personnel, retirees, and uniformed services veterans.

U.S. civilian marine personnel of the Military Sealift Command.

Both cremated and non-cremated remains can be buried at sea by the Navy. Families cannot attend the service which is performed at a time and date chosen by the Navy. After completing the necessary forms, the remains must be delivered to one of several ports where the service is available. Where a full body is to be buried at sea, the casket must be prepared according to Navy guidelines and transported by a funeral director at the family's expense. "

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 457 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
blacklarkviii

Interesting place this is, where else do you get a mix of orphan automotive advice AND funeral preparation advice.

Love it.

p.d. :)

blacklarkviii I went with my Dad a little over a year ago to make all his arrangements.

Oujdeivß

Oh man, is our society ever sinking to new lows! Tacky? Maybe, but what is coming next? How about converting a pickup truck to a hearse? In fact - go the whole way: use a dumper box, paint it black and hang a little crepe on the sides. Then you just back up to the graveside, hit the lever and slide the dearly departed right into their eternal resting place! Even Monty Python couldn't have thought up that one. The absolute model of efficiency.

-George-

63 GT Hawk 63 Champ (not a dumper and not a hearse...) 56 Sky Hawk

Bill Glass wrote:

Reply to
reichsrundfunk

Back in the hollers (hollows) of West Virginia and eastern Tennessee 'every' pickup is a hearse. Just depends on who owned it when they died... Sometimes the 'viewing' is to have the casket lid open (in the back of the pickup).. .And you'd better stop when the funeral procession of three pickup trucks goes by.... Jeff (Seen more than once with my own eyes..) Rice

"reichsrundfunk" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Geeeeeez, they took JFK Jr out to sea and he never served a day!

JT

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

His daddy did, so that counts.

Grumpy AuC> Geeeeeez, they took JFK Jr out to sea and he never served a day! > > JT

Reply to
John Poulos

So your kid or I (since my dad was in the Navy) could be buried at sea?

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Yes:

" Individuals eligible for this program are: (1) active duty members of the uniformed services; (2) retirees and veterans who were honorably discharged. (3) U.S. civilian marine personnel of the Military Sealift Command; and (4) dependent family members of active duty personnel, retirees, and veterans of the uniformed services."

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

second "at sea" burial for him.... remember how he died

tacky, Mark, tacky

Reply to
Green Acres is the place to be

Don't have that many friends???!!?

When Denson Fuchs died here a few years ago, he took his last ride in the back of his restored Champ pick-up. That is the way to go!

We are holding the service for my Mom's older sister this weekend. She died in Oct. and was cremated for $2000.00. What a deal! I tried to tell my Mom that she could have it done at a fraction of that price at a different funeral home, but she wouldn't listen.

Reply to
Barry

That's it! I want to be burried at sea in the Power Hawk with full honours...

Now, how come the family of JFK jr. got to go along for the trip but non of us mortals cain't?

JT

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Yeah... But JFK jr t'wern't the brightest bulb in the family..

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Because his daddy was President, lots of perks.

Grumpy AuC> That's it! I want to be burried at sea in the Power Hawk with full honours... >

Reply to
John Poulos

I'm going to be burned .....saves on real estate..........got it all set up,prepaid for $1000.I get a cardboard coffin thats toasted and into another box 8" square.They can put me in whatever urn they want and stick me beside my mom and dad and stepdad and my cat and my dog.I did notice something weird though. I scattered my dads ashes this summer (after 21 years) and noted that they were very coarse. All the others were fine. Guess one has to decide whether you want fine or coarse grind.......:-0

Stuuder

Bill Glass wrote:

Reply to
Stuuder