OT- Help and HARM from Cash for Clunkers

My following post was deemed politically unacceptable on the SDC Forum, but some of us still think it is worth reading. "Yes, I know there have seen several threads on Cash for Clunkers, but I have some real life stories to relate. First, C4C helped me because I got a mint tail gate VERY CHEAP for my '95 Dodge Ram. My daughter-in-law is a manager for a medium size salvage yard (she's a "car" person). Since C4C they have received about 1,000 "clunkers" from dealers within about 25 miles of their yard. Here's the HARM part. My tailgate came off a 48,000-mile, garage-kept, pristine '96 Ram. Other "clunkers" they have received include an '03 Mustang, an '01 Rodeo with low miles in perfect condition, an '06 Kia Sedona with everything including back seat DVD, an '03 Grand Cherokee, several Jaguars and BMWs and many other similar examples. She says only a small number of the vehicles are truly clunkers- mostly old high miles Chevrolet trucks. She says the largest number of clunkers were Dodge trucks, MoPar minivans, Jeeps (all models), Ford Aerostars, Ford trucks, etc. She talked to some of the dealer mechanics who had to "put down" the clunkers. They said it broke their hearts to do it to most. In case you didn't know the method, they pour a liquid glass solution in the crankcase filler and run the engines until they seize. This solution ruins any moving part of the engine that is engine-oil lubricated. With her knowledge of the auction market she said most of the "clunkers" would be worth at least $3500-$4500 as trade-ins. And to some degree dealers have shot themselves in the foot because now they are way short on used cars in their inventories (a dealer told me some time ago that they make their money on used cars, not the new car sales). Other HARMs- her yard can only hold up to 2,000 cars. To make room for the clunkers they had to crush hundreds of cars that still had many usable parts. And, they are getting the cars at such a rate that they can't hire enough help to dismantle them in the time allowed under the C4C program. So, more usable parts will go to the crusher. Charity programs- The various charities that get a good bit of their revenue from donated cars are badly hurt- no one is donating cars. Low income people- Many people can't afford new cars or even good used cars. Many of the "clunkers" could have been bought by low income people, but now they aren't available. Everyone ready for another C4C program?" Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

absolutely right..

BEFORE the cash for clunkers program, there was a run on scrap steel, got up to obscene levels in the last couple of years-so much so that some yards crushed EVERYTHING.. they were totally empty.. 50's and anything..GONE.

and again before the program we got a local yard, that unless its a almost collectable, and was anything newer than 2000 it was immediately crushed. too many with no value as parts.

its STILL going on now after the fact..

I do the lock work for 3 car dealers and all 3 are SEVERELY screwed now- no new car sales, and any used cars they are having to buy at auction..

! dealer in fact has had a run of bad luck IMO in that the last few 'used cars' they got, were POS and SHOULD be crushed. they needed $2,000 in repairs to be worth the 1500 they were asking.

gossip among places says the new car market is TOTALLY fubared for the next several after Christmas months and the dealers are praying they can last that long.

the 3 billion spent totally wrecked the car dealers, and anything related to them.. independent mechanics, and 'fast lube shops', at least in my area.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Just typical of poorly thought out guv'ment action. I agree with everything you stated but was surprised that some body parts can be sold off. That is a small positive for an otherwise negative program.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

All, on the Land-Rover "Mendo Recce" list that I'm on, this site breaking down what was traded in was posted.

North American sales Defender 110 were traded in. There were far less than 1000 imported into North America, and they normally go for US$30,000 on EBAY. There was also a Rolls-Royce that went to it's death.The good news is there apparently weren't any Studebakers traded in.Best regards, Chris Houck, Pacheco, CA

'52 2R5 ( soon to be brought back to life and will be scrounging parts soon, my next project! ) '55 Champion 16G6 2 door '59 Lark VI '61 Land-Rover 88" Series II Station Wagon

Reply to
Chris

IIRR, you got 6 MONTHS to sell off any body part, excluding the engine and such parts (drive train), then it must be at that time crushed as well

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Right on that. My daughter-in-law says they won't be able to disassemble that many cars in six months so much good stuff will still be crushed. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

I totally agree with all you have stated about the C4C program... a sad day for our nation..

MM

Reply to
Mike M

Does anyone know the procedure for the dealer, once they get the "clunkers" Do they auction them, sell them, give then away, what? As everyone else, I see hundreds of them in Pick n Pull, here in San Antonio. REALLY beautiful cars--MAAAAANY Jeeps. But lots of very nice (and I mean REALY nice) Mercedes, Caddys and BMWs.

TIA John

Reply to
johnnywiffer

6 months salvage yards, selling parts then crush, mandatory.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me