OT scrap metal

better keep an eye on some thing you got laying around..

I was quoted 70 cents a pound for #2 brass today as scrap.. old key blanks...

I dont know if old radiators would be #1 or 2..BUT...

How about $2 a POUND for copper???

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

A lot of people have been stealing copper wire from the closed down old Charlestown Indiana Army Ammunition plant and electricuting themselves in the process. One guy burned off an arm and after he got out of the hospital , the state police got him. At least two others killed themselves by electricution trying to steal copper wire.

Reply to
Transtar60

Serves 'em right. I loaded a junk Sky Hawk up this afternoon to haul to the crusher to take advantage of the high scrap prices. Anybody need a rebuildable 289?

BH

Reply to
Barry

They're starting to steal the copper and brass/bronze flower vases out of cemetaries here in SC. There's a special place in Hell for these people.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

We had a completely empty house sittiing vacant several years ago while it was on the market. It was located in an older Houston neighborhood which was basking in the "blessings" of "diversity". Someone destroyed a window frame breaking in and the only thing they took was the evaporator coil out of the A/C unit.

I am starting to worry about my 1-1/2 year old 8' fence which I constructed with new "R" panels. Thank goodness they are painted steel & not aluminum. A storage building I rented back in '90 had about 80' of cedar fence pickets stolen one weekend. A month later 3 vehicles which were parked outside were stolen, probably by scrappers.

-- Barry'd in Studes

58 Packard Hawk 40 President 39 Coupe Exp. 59 DeLuxe 1/2 tn. 56 Packard "400"
Reply to
Barry

Ya, last week I took in the aluminum cans.. 101 pounds worth and got 64 cents a pound! Up from $.38 one year ago.. Dick S.

Reply to
Dick S.

a few weeks ago somebody sawed off the catalytic converters from 3 of my used cars. These were all mid-90's GM cars-full of platinum,I think.

Reply to
52hawk

tick tick tick Every day we get closer and closer to 'Thunderdome"... (Or if the Antarctic glaciers melt... 'Waterworld'......) Jeff (Studebakers all suffer from 'Global Rusting'.....it's a damned conspiracy!.) Rice

"52hawk" wrote...

***
Reply to
Jeff Rice

How much platinum is in three catalytic converters... enough to buy a bottle of Mad Dog wine or a hit of crack?

Lee

***
Reply to
Lee Aanderud

Worth about $90- as far as what I can figure by calling a few scrap yards. I guess that would buy some crack.

Reply to
52hawk

The solution to the crack (and other drugs) problem is so simple...legalize it, manufacture it, give it away, and let whomever wants to do it have an unlimited supply. Let them kill themselves doing it. Take all the people on the enforcement/incarceration end of things and put them to work on the distribution and regulation end. The crime rate would fall like a rock. The prisons would empty out and those that do the shit 'till they die would be out of the breeding population. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

The problem with that solution is that innocent people inadvertently become victims. My solution is to reduce demand by zero tolerance on usage. Reduce the demand and most of the problem will go away.

The exception is grass which should be decriminalized completely.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

If you mean by "zero tollerance" that we keep spending billions on enforcement/incarceration, then that is what is happening now and it just doesn't work. Let the crackheads stay stoned for FREE instead of robbing and killing for the stuff and who cares what happens to them... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Add one more thing to that, if you are caught with any illegal drugs on you, no mater how much, you must ingest ALL of it. Either there on the spot, or in court before the judge. Takes the supply off the street and eliminates the dealers in a rather interesting way...

Reply to
D.J.

My, this thread certainly went into the ditch now didn't it? ;-) Dick S.

Reply to
Dick S.

Just the normal thread drift...

JT

"Dick S." wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

The old Stude steering wheel on this newsgroup isn't hooked up to a steering box... We just pass it around and from thread to thread ... Some guys won't let go of it. Some reach over and yank it for fun. Some drive from the passenger side. Some drive from the back. Shoot, some drive from a different car! Jeff (My rake is clogged with muck...) Rice

"Grumpy AuC> Just the normal thread drift...

***
Reply to
Jeff Rice

When the rake get clogged with muck, best thing to do is jump into the puddle of the same stuff!

Just don't:

  1. Make tracks on a white rug

  1. Don't let WHF, olcrappyone, SWMBO, and other higher authorities find out

  2. Don't ever head for a corner that you cain't wiggle out of

  1. Have your lines rehearsed

  2. Maintain the remote in operable condition and have it at the ready...

JT

(Drifts R Us)

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to