OT- Taking Things too seriously

Last night I wrote the following letter to Lexus. It was about a huge technical error I found in a commercial they air in NY.

This is my letter:

"I know you spend millions of dollars on TV ads, and you hire very talented directors, and production companies. But your latest ad is a hilarious JOKE.

Two Lexus automobiles leaving midtown Manhattan, one takes the Holland Tunnel...............which goes to NEW JERSEY.....yes New Jersey, and the othe takes the Manhattan Bridge which goes into BROOKLYN HEIGHTS, which is in BROOKLYN, it is hysterical, since both cars arrive in Brooklyn Heights AT THE SAME TIME.

Either, One LEXUS, the one that went to Jersey is extremely FAST, or the other LEXUS that went to Brooklyn is extremely SLOW.

Had your HIGH PRICED Ad Agency and their crew, done their HOMEWORK and submiit a story board where BOTH cars left, and one took The Manhattann Bridge, and the other take the Brooklyn Bridge or even the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, the ad would be more dramatic.

I could have shot that commercial in one day, by myself, plus the two cars and two drivers, with one camera, and two rolls of 16mm film.

Could have saved you about $$$$$$$$$$$.00, and possibly the embarassment of a geographically impossible blunder.

Bill Glass

18 Lorenz Drive Valhalla, New York 10595 As an aside, I drive a 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk, which we drive into lower Manhattan. See my site
"

The following is the RESPONSE by LEXUS to me.................................

Dear Mr. Glass:

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

Lexus is sensitive to the opinions of its customers, and regrets that our

2007 GS 350 commercial has offended you. The advertising was never intended to depict a negative or controversial situation. We respect your honest feedback, and have documented your comments for consideration with future advertisements.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Candace Mackey Lexus Customer Satisfaction

WHERE THE HELL DID I SAY I WAS OFFENDED, AND WHERE DID I SAY IT WAS A NEGATIVE OR A CONTROVERSAL SITUATION?

This woman/young lady/girl/female, needs to really get a life.

If I ever can afford a Lexus,I want the one that went to Jersey.

Bondo

Reply to
Bill Glass

Where the hell did you indicate you were a CUSTOMER?

Dave Lester

Reply to
Dave's Place www.davesplaceinc

Fer gotta bout dat?

See you in Omaha?

Bondo

Reply to
Bill Glass

God, I HOPE so!

Dave Lester

Reply to
Dave's Place www.davesplaceinc

Not quite like this but a few months ago the Washington Post had an excellent article about the 50th anniversary of the Interstate Highway System.

Accompanying the article was what might be a typical highway scene, looking out the windshield of a car, hands gripping the wheel, 4 lane highway disappearing into the distance ahead... and Pilot Mountain on the left side of the highway.

I about died laughing when I saw that picture.

Now as many of you know Pilot Mountain is a very distinctive place, north of Winston Salem NC just west of US 52.

US 52... and the Washington Post had it in an article about the Interstates.

Obviously someone just snagged a stock photo of a highway and just assumed it was an Interstate, but they should have thought to check.

But it WAS a very good article.

Jeff DeWitt

Bill Glass wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

My question is, "What's accuracy got to do with advertising?" Nu Yawkahs are too busy guffawing each other while the rest of the sheeple watchin' it (providing they didn't go to the fridge or can) wouldn't know one tunnel or bridge from the other. Hell, most cain't even find the west coast of the US on a map and heaven forbid if they are ever confronted with a globe...

JT

Bill Glass wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Duh........... If'in yu goneaah cell a kar too us' Nu Yawkins, den ya beddah no da sity

And, Ellen says that Dave's post was typical of a good analytical police officer........... he picked up on the fact that I never said anything about customer.

As an aside, I have a feeling they pulled the commercial from airing in the NY area. If you are not aware the networks split the commercials ........... for example in a one hour show on CBS, the first two spots are national, then the middle one at the bottom of the hour is split, either to the locals, or to regionals. then at the 44 min is national, and at 53/55 its split screen, and then local takes over.

How do I know all this boring trivia, back in the 60's I ran the CBS network in the day of air room. I got fired for airing the same episode of Guiding Light twice in one week, and also for pulling video tape faciities away from the Ed Sullivan Show and giving the video machines to Cronkite when Chancelor Adenour died. However, I still have the network schedule that I wrote that put the first man on the moon.

Are you asleep yet?

Bondo

Reply to
Bill Glass

Maybe I would be, but five minutes before the end of your message, "Heidi" came on...

(You didn't do that one, did you?)

Reply to
comatus

THAT one, I cannot take credit for................ it would have been great on my resume though :)

Reply to
Bill Glass

You've been the victim of form letter #2 :)

Rob

Bill Glass wrote:

Reply to
Rob Stokes