Oklahoma to Omaha

Still don't have any real, "Plan." Tried to get released from my interim job today, but looks like I'm going to be held to the contract... Friday. Since I have no "plan," let's see if we can put one together:

I was going to spend this summer leisurely getting both vehicles prepared for the trip/judging. I have since learned that city managers put in really long hours. And, I have also been reminded that when it is 104+ degrees in the shop, I couldn't care less about preparing anything, for anything.

So, here I am, completely unprepared, with just more than a week before time to head towards Omaha. Do I try to haul 'Sheba there with Goliath? After all, although 'Sheba is no trailer queen, the theme is, "Trucking to Omaha!"

I don't know yet... but I am obligated to be there the evening of Sunday the

24th, in order to make the board meeting by 0800 the 25th... Milton Jones, our Zone Director is ill, and can't make it. So I, as Zone Coordinator, should be there.

So, whether I take both the truck and car, just the car, or drive a Brand X, I need to leave the 24th. It's a good day's drive one-way, so I plan to leave fairly early.

I have had some contacts from within the great state of Oklahoma, some from other states, and one from the great country to our north, wanting to know if we can form a convoy.

For those that might find themselves in Oklahoma on the 23rd/24th, Mapquest Guthrie, OK, and see if that might work for you. Guthrie is about 25 miles west of me, and there is a Braum's there, just a block west off of I-35. Seems like a reasonable place to meet, coffee up, fill up, and move on! (Just a few miles N. of OKC.)

My thought is, at this time, that I would like to leave that area by around

0800 on the 24th. According to MapQuest, it is 490 miles, and 7.25 hours from Guthrie to Omaha, which averages out to 67.5 mph for the trip. Since most (all) of this is Interstate travel, I'm sure that allows for fuel stops, etc. I can beat that with 'Sheba alone, for sure, and can probably match it with Goliath hauling her. Doing that, we should anticipate reaching Omaha by late afternoon (3:30-4:00.) That should allow time to check in, settle in, etc. It should also allow some downtime; in the event somebody (probably me) breaks down... we should be there by dark, in most any event. I can also run slower, if I have to. Meeting time at Braum's in Guthrie is adjustable, if that helps gather more Studes together.

I'm not an early riser by nature, but can make Guthrie by 0800... earlier if I must.

How 'bout it, Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Arizona, Canada, others? Wanna form a convoy of Studes??

We have one extra bedroom here in Perkins, OK, and a couch that makes out into a bed in the Quonset. (Ya gotta step outside to pee,) if that helps.

As stated earlier, I have no "plan." (Read that "commitment.") C'mon, COMMIT ME! (I already have a proxies for me for the board meeting, it that becomes the only issue.)

I am posting this through Google :-( as my newsgroup provider has shot craps of late. Please respond by email if this is "doable" for you.

Reply to
Dave's Place

Dave,

I'm leaving for Omaha this Saturday and I still don't have my truck back form the Body Shop. The hood is off from it the Dash cover is not painted carpet is out of it and the list goes on and on. But I'm going. . .I think, on Saturday and I say my nerves are shot. Leaving early to visit my Sister along the way and to but to rest some of the thing that wasn't completed before I leave for Omaha while at her place. Bring them both!

Reply to
Rick Courtier

Writing tired too!

Reply to
Rick Courtier

Visited with Ebon this evening. Looks like Milton is going to try to make it to Omaha! He has a doctor's appointment Tuesday, and if the doc gives the go-ahead, Milton is headed north! Let's all put in a good word and a prayer in Milton's behalf. The trip, meeting, and meet should be good for Milton, Ebon, and SDC!

Dave Lester

Reply to
Dave's Place www.davesplaceinc