Closed Amusment Parks<OT>

It was with some sadness that I heard The Pavilion at Myrtle Beach is closing, and that got me to thinking about another great amusement park that is no longer with us, Palisades Amusement Park in New Jersey.

This was one of those great old amusement parks that started as a trolley park around the turn of the last century, and was located on the Jersey Palisades overlooking the Hudson River, New York City, and the George (and Martha) Washington Bridge.

My Mom's parents lived in Tenafly, New Jersey and one of the things we always saw and heard when we visited them were the radio and TV ads for Palisades Amusement Park, and they had a jingle that was so memorable I still remembered it.

So I did some googling and found a wonderful website belonging to the "Palisades Amusement Park Historical Association".

We went to the park the last summer it was open, I had no idea it was so long ago, 1971.

Any of you guys (or gals) ever go to Palisades? Any cool old now closed amusement parks you remember?

It was a strange feeling here that old "Come on Over" jingle coming out of my computers speakers after all those years, I'm sure the last time I heard it was in 1971 at my grandparents house.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

midlant

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 382 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
blacklarkviii

Jeff,

This brought back many memories for me, not of Palisades, but of Fontaine Ferry Park in Louisville, Kentucky. I spent many a summer afternoon there as a kid on nickle day. It's been gone since 1969. I've been to the site a few times, and there's nothing left but a parking lot. Strangely, I did a search on the internet and came up with this:

What's strange, is that John Willard, the designer for Palisades Park conceived Fontaine Ferry Park. No wonder it brought back memories!

Mark

65 Cruiser
DeWitt wrote:> It was with some sadness that I heard The Pavilion at Myrtle Beach is> closing, and that got me to thinking about another great amusement park> that is no longer with us, Palisades Amusement Park in New Jersey. >> This was one of those great old amusement parks that started as a> trolley park around the turn of the last century, and was located on the> Jersey Palisades overlooking the Hudson River, New York City, and the> George (and Martha) Washington Bridge.>
Reply to
Mark Anderson

Any cool old now closed

For some trivial information, where the 1993 International Meet was held at Janzen Beach in Portland, Oregon; the Red Lion Inn was built on the site of the old Janzen Beach Amusment Park that was closed in 1970. Some of the old cars from the roller coaster set up on the lawn of the hotel with some historical information about the park.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig Parslow

Reply to
jimmijim8

I thought there was a movement to save The Pavillion, maybe it could not stop "progress" from doing away with all the cool old stuff I remember. I remember as a little kid going to the amusement park in Council Bluffs, Iowa. That would be a big adventure for a little guy. We loaded up my grandpa's '52 Studebaker and crossed the Missouri River from Omaha and had an evening of fun. I remember the old wooden roller coaster. I can't remember the park's name. How about it Rick C.?

Joe (yeh, I know I am getting old) Roberts.

Reply to
itraseecab