R-motor questions...

1) will a standard V-8 fuel pump work OK on an R1 motor? or is the R1 fuel pump really required for best performance?

2) If swapping a standard Lark engine for an R1 Lark engine, do the pulleys for PS and A/C just bolt up to the damper, or are there spacers or different pulleys involved?

nate

(there's a reason I am asking these questions...)

Reply to
N8N

One more question, are there any negative implications to using a standard Flightomatic?

thanks,

nate

Reply to
N8N

There must be a reason that Studebaker used a different fuel pump. Are the floats set to a different height on the R1 carb?

I don't believe there are any different spacers for the PS and Alternator belt pulleys. I don't recall using anything different from what I took off the standard engine when I made the change this winter.

The standard Flighto doesn't really 'like' to be shifted manually through 1, 2, 3 I've heard. It is also only air cooled unless it is in the HD form. Otherwise it would be fine.

Reply to
GTtim

Reply to
John Poulos

Are building a salt flats car Nate?

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Are you building a salt flats car Nate?

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

more like trying to get my car back on the road with the least amount of effort. JP makes a good case that rebuilding my 289 would be a lot of work to save a couple hundred bucks and I still wouldn't have the special pan, etc. I'm kind of leaning towards the "drop an a R1" option right now...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Alrighty now I am lost. What special pan is that N8??

Reply to
Transtar60

Reply to
John Poulos

snip

Ok, now I understand. Guess N8 would be running it up pass 6000rpm on a daily basis

Reply to
Transtar60

R-series engines require 3/8" fuel lines.

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Nate's inner child will be rearing its **** head even more than normal...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
GTtim

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
Malcom Gillette

My inner child really likes the sound of a V-8 being operated at high RPM :)

nate

Reply to
N8N

Find yourself a good 224 . Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

I think JP called it, he told me he thought the difference was a larger hole in the middle of the pulley to allow for the lip on the blower pulley for the R-2 engines. My eyeball sez if I put the PS pulley on without the spacer that is present on the non-R motor I'll be within

1/16" or so.

If anyone thinks the above is wrong, of course, jump in and let me know before I end up in the middle of yet another frustrating job without the right parts.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Yes, yes.

As you probably know, the fan pulley is part of the vibration dampener, so the fan pulley is not needed. The parts book calls out a different pulley for the power steering, but off hand I do not recall the difference. There is no special pulley called out for the A/C.

Reply to
randee

Reply to
GTtim