R3 Engine Mounts

What did the factory do to avoid having the harmonic balancer and/or the crank pulleys from hitting the ram or the it's arm in an R3 Avanti with power steering? Is it possible to make modifications that will avoid this problem while achieving some extra clearance under the hood on my R2?

Brooksie

Reply to
Brooksie

I had the same problem and nobody posted an answer for me. You can lower the bellcrank by either taking the bolts out and putting washers between the bellcrank case (bottom side of the engine frame cradle) and the frame or at least loosening the bolts and cutting out part of the washers to make them slotted so you can slide them in without removing the bellcrank. This will lower the connection between the crank pulley and the ram so they will clear. You cannot use the 8" high performance pulley, it will not clear. Worked for me!

Reply to
PACKERBACKER

I had the same problem and nobody posted an answer for me. You can lower the bellcrank by either taking the bolts out and putting washers between the bellcrank case (bottom side of the engine frame cradle) and the frame or at least loosening the bolts and cutting out part of the washers to make them slotted so you can slide them in without removing the bellcrank. This will lower the connection between the crank pulley and the ram so they will clear. You cannot use the 8" high performance pulley, it will not clear. Worked for me!

Reply to
PACKERBACKER

Thank you! By how much do I need to clear the pulley from the ram? i.e. How many washers and how thick overall are you talking?

Thanks again!

Brooksie

Reply to
Brooksie

I went to the corner hardware store and bought regular flat washers that fit the bellcrank bolts. I think I used (2) per bolt. I read about this solution in Stan Gundry's book. (What the shop manual doesn't tell you) If I remember right he tells you that you only need to put them on the front (2) bolts but I put them at all (4) and it gave me about 3/16" clear. I needed the clearance for an R3 carb box. I only have drove the car about 4 blocks since I lowered the bellcrank because the rear brake cylinder got stuck and now I am building the brakes, but it seems that it did solve the clearance problem.

Reply to
PACKERBACKER