Reedsville 2007

So guys how was the meet this year? what was there for n.o.s. sheetmetal?

Reply to
63t-cab

It's hard to say how the met was.... In some ways it was good and in others not...

You can blame it on $3.09/gallon regular and $3.49 diesel fuel....

You can blame it on 35 degree weather with rain/snow mix and 30 MPH winds (damn, it was cold)

You can blame it on the Penn State schedule and the meet being the weekend before Thanksgiving

You can blame it on e-Bay stealing the market

You can blame it on the aging population of the SDC membership.

There were some vendors who did well but, most I talked with did not. Attendance was down and, for the most part, those there were not spending much money.

I got a couple good deals (Thanks again Dusty Bob!) and bought a couple things I really don't need right now but bought anyway.

For the most part, Reedsville was still a great social event and I got to see some good friends that I won't see agian before York.

Several regular vendors were not in attendance and a few I talked with this year will not be back next year. Losing money year after year at this event makes it hard for them to come back.

If I go back next year, I'll not be vending like I have in the past but, take it in as a social event instead... For me to vend there, fuel, motels, and meals run me between $650 and $700 for the weekend. If I drive out the econo-box car for the meet only, I can cut $250 off the fuel bill and $150 off the lodging bill as I'd only be there one night instead of three. I'd also not have to stand out in the cold and argue with guys that a '55 coupe tail light lens that is not cracked, scratched or in any way damaged is worth more than $5.

I would say that 70% of the vendors had given up by 2 PM on Saturday and were packing to go home.

The car corral was virtually non-existant

These are just my opinions on the meet.... I know some got good deals and had a blast... I had a GREAT time talking and visiting wtih my friends and, in the future, that is the only thing that will keep be coming back.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Bob Wilson was there with the same 59 "3/4 ton" pickup, that was at York 2 years ago, and I should have bought then

Reply to
rjohnsto

By 4:30 the only vehicles left in the parking lot were Bob Peterson's trailer and my car and the building was empty. The only reason we were there was Bob was waiting on one of his prepaid customers to pickup $1,000 order and I was waiting to take Bob to his motel since Ian had his truck (picking up the buggy he bought from Gary Hearns). Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

On Nov 19, 10:11 am, "Paul Johnson" wrote: "You can blame it on 35 degree weather with rain/snow mix and 30 MPH winds (damn, it was cold) "

Let's have the meet in FL next year!! The weather has been awesome here!

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

It's Reedsville... it it was warm and comfortable it just wouldn't be the same

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

Reply to
Barry

If it weren't for the socail aspect of the meet, I'd have done the same

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

It was a poor show. Very low in attendance and a few new vendors who were convinced or coerced into believing this was the end all show. I really feel bad for them as they came long distances.

I have digital images taken in 2000 and 2001 that show wall to wall people, this year youi could see down the aisles without obstruction. We were out of there by 2:25 on Saturday and we were not the first to bail.

Don't get me wrong, stuff did sell for a few vendors, but it was really bad timing. Less than a week before Thanksgiving.

Reply to
Bill Glass