Replacing Rings In Car?

OK, I've been fighting a smoking/oil consumption problem with the ('63) 289 in our convertible. I believe the valve guides/seals are OK. I've
isolated the problem to one cylinder (right front), but the compression is fine in that cylinder.
So, the first question-is it possible/probable to have good compression, but bad oil control? I'm thinking maybe a broken oil control ring, or maybe the gaps are all lined up?
Second question-is it possible to pull the piston out the bottom (and later replace it) without removing the head by just pulling the pan and removing the rod bolts?
Any suggestions/insights would be appreciated.
S2DSteve
How did you figure out it was number 2 ? It not possible to pull the piston from the bottom with the crank in place, besides, it's easier to pull the engine then drop the pan in the car.
Steve Hudson wrote:

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com

Alex Magdaleno wrote:

I donno but I bought a Hawk with a 289 back in 1998 and it smoked and used 2 qt of oil to 100 miles. Trying to figer out what was wrong I took compression test and did a leak down compression test and both were good. I finally pulled heads and the cylinders and piston and rings were wore plumb out. Had to bore +.030. Why did it have good compression?
I'm thinking maybe a broken oil control ring, or

-
Well I traced it to the right front (#2) cylinder by noting smoke from that bank and oil on the suspect spark plug. I don't think it's guides/seals because the guides are within specs and the seals are new positive/teflon type. Also, the smoke is most noticeable under acceleration. It's using about 1qt per 100 miles.
An added wrinkle: I notice it does not seem to smoke when a qt or more low (according to the dip stick).
I realize I can pull the engine and take everything apart, but I'm a bit lazy and hoping for a shortcut. If the piston can't be pulled from the bottom, then removing the one head and pulling the piston out the top would still save a lot of time/effort. Of course that would make sense only if the problem could be fixed by just replacing the rings.
S2DSteve
Steve Hudson wrote:

Sometimes the piston pin retainer bolt comes loose and the pin rubs grooves in the cylinder walls, four of them. Takes more than new rings to fix this.

--
Robert W. Hughes (Bob)
BackYard Engineering
S2DSteve wrote:

If it's a Stude engine, it should be five quarts (six quarts for 1955 engines (259)) plus filter allowance (if used).
JT
Bigbob62 wrote:

Hey, it's the "lazy" people who come up with most of the time and labor saving inventions...

<SNIP>

That's a lot of oil usage. Sounds like you will have to pull it apart.