Rodded radiator in, gauge still a little high. Why?

Got my rodded radiator, put it in, put 50/50 antifreeze/water, let it run and get to normal temp with heater on per recommendations. Took
the car for a drive. My only concern is the temp guage is still reading higher than I think it should. It leaves about 70% to last mark, or about three bars from hot. Any suggestions?
Don
Take it to a radiator shop that has a laser temp gage - they'll tell you what the true temp is. I've gone through a bunch of hoops on one car only to find that the sending unit was bad - it wasn't as hot as the gage said it was.
Don Smith wrote:

--
Remove all the x's to email.

The only label that fits:
Could be the gauge, I know on my Hawk I can start it up and let it run, tap on the gauge and the needle will jump to the right and stop with each rap on the glass and peg out all the way to the right. This is with a completely boiled out block and new radiator. Never had the engine overheat once. I've heard several other people state the same problem when I've brought it up.
Lee

If the gage is correct, it's time to pull the freeze plugs and clean the block out.
Don Smith wrote:

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com

Don Smith wrote:

Don,
it depends on the car. In my '55 coupe, the gauge runs at 3/4 when with my laser thermometer it says I'm just a hair under 180 degrees. I believe the gauges were originally calibrated to read at exactly mid scale with a stock thermostat, which for earlier cars was 160 degrees and the latest models 170 degrees. Since 170 degree thermostats are no longer available most people run 180s therefore the gauge may read a little high. For piece of mind try to measure the engine temp. at the top radiator tank or thermostat housing and see where you're at, either with a laser thermometer or a candy thermometer. If it's within a few degrees of the thermostat rating I wouldn't worry about it. You could put a small resistor inline with the sender wire if you want to adjust your gauge to read mid scale.
nate
At one time I bought three aftermarket temperature sending units, marked TU-2 on the box at a generic swap meet. Two made the guage read 3/4 toward hot. The other read 1/2 way up. This was with a verified 160 thermostat and a freshly cleaned block with new freeze plugs. A glass thermometer in the radiator neck confirmed I was cooling OK. I guess you cannot assume that a new part is right, just because it is new. KK