Sad tale and sadder lesson

I recently had a package dissappear on it's way to Manhattan Beach CA. The guy didn't request insurance...and it went parcel post. A slightly heavy package. I put tracking on it like I do with everything I send regardless of the wishes of the customer. The package made it to Los Angeles but then the tracking stopped and it vanished. Both me and the guy on the other end tried very valiantly to locate it and filled out tons of paperwork and made a ton of calls. I went three times to my local main post office and was frustrated that they made me talk to the supervisor via a courtesy phone in the lobby..they don't come out and talk in person anymore. There is only one phone and always a line, too... Anyway, it turns out the package went through a very rough section of Los Angeles on it's way and that is where it was most likely stolen. Almost two months later the guy in CA got the removed adress label that was evidently still attached to the piece of cardboard. No sign of the package and it looks like we are both giving up. I have always had high praise for the postal service, but when the system fails, it sure does fail bad. I didn't get any real help from the people I talked to and the guy in CA went to the facility where it was last scanned (I hope he went armed..) and offered to look throught the damaged and unclaimed packages but they refused to let him do so. If there is a moral to this story, it is to insure everything and from what I have been told by the "real people" at my small satellite PO, dont send anything parcel post. I will continue to do whatever the customer wants as far as shipping, but will relate this to them as a warning what might happen. The lost stuff was about five hundred bucks worth. IT seems as economic times get harder, there will be more instances like this as temptation to snag/steal stuff gets more intense. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

I'll bet that there's a 50% chance that it was an "inside" job. That, or the the carrier left it on the front steps.

Gawd, what idiot would decline insurance on a big bux item?...

JT

Studebaker George wrote:

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Since the buyer got part of the box, I doubt it ever made it to his house, which is NOT in a "bad section". The thief probably tossed the stuff when he saw it was old Studebaker parts. He and I communicated a LOT in a desperate attemp at locating the stuff, hoping it was damaged and went to one of the PO's center for lost and damaged items. From what I gather, there are more than a few of those centers across the country. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

I had a similar situation back in the early 1990's when, (while working at Diego Garcia), ordered a fairly expensive camera and lens from a photo store in NYC.

When I got the packages, I noticed that one seemed rather light and showed evidence of tampering. So, I opened it up right at the PO counter and sure 'nuff, nothing in the box and a sloppy job of resealing it.

It took a little time, but the photo shop replaced the camera body as they were self insured so it did not coast me anything after I sent a copy of the NCIS report.

BTW, the lens arrived OK in another package. Rather than go through that again, I bought a second lens in Singapore while passing through.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

I sent my sister some gift cards within a greeting card envelope a few months ago when she married. Had the presence of mind to insure it and after waiting the requisite 30 days, filed more paperwork than my first mortgage to get the ins. money, but it came. Yes, insure everything of any value.

-- Message posted using

information at

TomNoller

At least you didn't give her a Bed Bath & Beyond, or a Sharper Image gift card... (Considered a casual transaction and deemed invalid if the seller files bankruptcy...) Jeff

"oldcarfart" wrote.. UPS trucks are not left running anymore either are they?

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Jeff Rice

Yea....listen to this one.... May 27, I sent a bunch of papers to the U.S. Navy, actually to a ship, which is at sea. They were sent "Certified", so I could track and see they arrived.. They were somewhat important and I wanted reassurance they wouldn't get lost. Fortunately, It's not too late to get another set off. As of yesterday, all the tracking site says is that the envelope was " Accepted" at the place I mailed it. What a bunch of crap. Even if there's 20 people waiting, these people painfully slow to do anything. Since most of them are relatives of 'Gunga Din', they probably have no allegiance to anything, sacred to us.. including efficiency...

Reply to
BobJ