sleeving: current prices/vendors/materials recommendations

Ok, now for the sleeving. There have been about 5 messages on this over the past 8 years. but none in the past 4.

  1. what is preferred, brass or stainless steel.
  2. who are the vendors, and WHO DO YOU TRUST.
  3. what are their prices, I find that most do not tell you on their web pages.

thanks!

Reply to
63Avanti

When I did the cop car (about 5 years ago) I used White Post and had them sleeve, with stainless, all six holes (the four on the calipers and both rear wheel cylinders). They also put their special epoxy coating on all the exterior surfaces.

These are the same brakes as on an Avanti....

turn around time was good and, back then, the cost was about $600 for everything. I was, and still am, quite happy with how they work.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

I have no experience with having cylinders sleeved, but White Post is generally the first name to come up in any discussion of same, and never in a derogatory manner.

nate

(unless you're talk> When I did the cop car (about 5 years ago) I used White Post and had

Reply to
N8N

I used White Post to sleeve ALL the brake hydraulics (including the hill holder) on my 38. Pricey? Yes. One thing...on one of the rear wheel cylinders they forgot to drill the hole through the sleeve for the bleeder and that didn't get noticed 'till all was together but fairly easily rectified. Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

ASSuming we are talking brake cylinders:

  1. I like stainless.
  2. White Post
  3. just do it or buy new
Reply to
oldcarfart

Well, monel is best, but that would have to be a custom job as nobody offers it off the shelf AFAIK. Stainless would be the second choice. Brass third.

Somebody else mentioned White Post - I had them do some cylinders for a customer many years ago, dunno if they are even still around. Check a Hemmings. AFAIR they did a nice job.

I used to send them to Northwest Avanti by the dozen as they had a reasonable 'bulk rate' price, but I have heard they are not around any more. Perhaps somebody can confirm that.

I should note that Hye-Dra-Cyl offers a complete front wheel cylinder in all stainless for service - with options of the original 2-1/8" bore or

2-1/4". They offer the bleeder valves and bridge pipes in stainless also. It was been awhile since I talked to a Jag owner with the HyeDraCyl units, but at the time the users I spoke to at a Jag meet were quite happy with them.
Reply to
randee

IIRC there was a Avanti place in Livonia, Mi. or around that area that offered sleeved cylinders. White Post still busy and in business.

Reply to
oldcarfart

Ah, good to know about White Post.

I can't recall any place around Livonia, but I left A**2 30 years ago. Only place up there that comes to mind now is Perfection Industries - I had them metallize and grind some piston rods for the Hawk Hydrovacs. Not cheap, and that was some years ago.

Now that I think about it, there was a Stude parts dealer on Telegraph or Southfield or Greenfield, but I think that would have been Dearborn not Livonia. Can't remember their name now. I bought a few parts from them when I needed them right away and did not want to wait for a shipment from South Bend.

-- wf.

oldcarfart wrote:

Reply to
randee

"THE" place to go for excellent parts, service and sleeving. Prices will please too. They have never failed to properly reline, get parts or resleeve for my cars. Quick ship & turn around.

B&E Warehouse, Minneapoilis, Mn

Henry Votel Forest Lake, MN

Reply to
gudim