Ping TWaldron and Matt

Question on back space 33x12.5" x 15" for Rubicon. What is the best back space on the 15" rim? I want to go as far under the fender flares as possible without rubbing or scraping on control arms etc.

BTW, its a 4.5" RE lift.

Anyone have a favorite fender flare for the rubicon and does it really fit the Rubicon without drilling?

Many thanks!

Reply to
nawt2smart

You *might* get away with 4" backspacing. Stock wheel can be used in the front once you adjust the steering stops, but with that wide a tire in the back you will contact the upper spring perch on the inside of the tire.

When we got my wife's TJL, the previous owner installed an RE 4.5" lift and

33x12.5's, but kept the stock wheels. After close inspection I noticed he cut off or ground down just enough of the upper spring perch cup (maybe 3/4") to clear the tire, with no spring retention issues. Neat trick. I'll put a link to a picture later.

Both my TJ's have stock flares, the Rubicon has wider flares from the factory, but if you need wider I'd choose Bushwacker, I like the look of them.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

4" to 3 5/8". I would go no more than 4" and not as far as 3.5". Pick the rims you like and see what is available. Hopefully, you'll have a match.

I have the Bushwacker flares and like them OK. The claim that they are UV stable is a lie, however. My Jeep is always garaged and they chalked up in a year. Also, their hardware is chrome plated and you breach the chrome when you first screw them in and the screw tops rust. Sucks. I live in Texas (no salt) and like I said, it's garaged. I will eventually replace them with stainless. For the price they charge, they should come with stainless hardware. Yes, they are compatible with the rocker panels on the Rubi. You just don't use the extra side pieces. Bestop's are NOT compatible.

tw

Reply to
twaldron
7" flares - the Tomb Raider style, you can get those on Ebay for a pretty decent price.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

The Tomb Raider pocket flares are about 4" Bushwackers, but Bushwacker also makes a 6" version without the gray paint.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

Hmm.. I would have SWORN that the ones I was looking at were 7"

now I have to go look aga>

Reply to
Kate

Ok, I searched "Jeep fender flares" came up with item 270072890613 right off the bat at $139 and there are others for less as I glance around the search results.

These are the Tomb Raider style, and claim to be 7.25"

There ya have it. For once, I thought I was losing my mind, and I wasnt.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Yep, not sure how they're measuring those if they are true Bushwackers. I know Bushwacker only goes up to 6", so maybe it's Ebay fluff? After all, their stealing the Tomb Raider name as well. The Tomb Raider TJ flares are about 4" pocket style and painted a charcoal gray. Bushwacker does not call their pocket style "Tomb Raider".

tw

Kate wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Ya got me... I have no idea.

K.

Reply to
Kate

Thanks TWaldron and Matt and Kate for the links! I guess I will play it safe and go 3 3/4 BS. I definately don't want rub, especially aired down. Now to see how much of a flare I need.

Take care.

ULB.

Reply to
ULB