T-10 overdrive?

anyone have any more knowledge about this? Gears are turning (in my head...)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Take note that this unit uses the R-11 overdrive, not the more common (and less robust) R-10 that is used with the T-86 transmission used in most Studes.

Reply to
John Kunkel

I figured as much, but I'm a sucker for old school stuff.

nate

DEEPNHOCK wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I ASSume that the R-10 is the unit used on the T-85? That would make sense seeing as the T-10 was based heavily on the T-85 design.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nope, R-10 is the light-duty 3 planet OD used on T86 and T96 transmissions.

R-11 is the heavy duty 4 planet OD unit, as used on T85s.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Ugh, that's what I meant, but not what I asked. Brain/finger interface not so good today.

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The T-85 was a widely used HD 3 speed, often equipped with OD. It was the Ford "Interceptor" transmission from '57 to '62. The R-11 is a 28 percent OD. The R-10 is 30 percent. Stude used the R-11 in Golden Hawks, with the T-85. The '56 & '57 had two piece drive shafts. The '58 was one piece. The Lincoln unit, mentioned in the ad, is for a one piece drive shaft, and is pretty short. Mike M.

Reply to
Mike

I asked the seller about the special transmission output shaft; that runs from the four speed gear box, through the adaptor, to the OD unit. He has answered in the Q&A, at the bottom of the ad; and offers to send more pictures, and the magazine article about the conversion. The rear end of the shaft, that is with the adaptors, has 10 splines, and grooves for circlips. I gather that's for the OD sun gear. When we talked, I was assuming the front end of the shaft was four speed, and didn't verify that. The pictures could be compared to the part's book drawings to make sure. Mike M.

Reply to
Mike