Too much oil in pan

The question of, "what harm would to much oil in the pan do" came up in another car forum. One person said that it would be hard on the oil pump, but didn't explain why. I would like to know why.

But this sounds reasonable. That to much oil in the pan will cause extra oil to be thrown about and collect on they cylinder walls where the rings may not be able to scrape it all away thereby causing higher oil consumption and burning.

Reply to
Pckstude

windage! like throwing oil into a shop fan.

Reply to
oldcarfart

I think a bigger problem is that the crankshaft will splash in the oil and churn it up, causing air to mix with the oil and reducing lubrication.

Jeff DeWitt

Pckstude wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Is that anything like pissing in the wind???

Lee

Reply to
Lee Aanderud

That's it. Foaming.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

When I was stationed in Panama in the late 60s while in the Navy a guy on base had a 409 Chevy he claimed was making oil. Maybe that is where too much oil in the crankcase was coming from.

Geno

64 R2 Avanti

64 Daytoma Convertible

Reply to