Transmission Fluid Temp.

I was looking in a parts catolog the other day and seen a transmission fluid temp. gage. Has anybody ever used one of these. I have always been puzzled in how the fluid goes thru the radiators hot water to cool off.

Reply to
studeluver

The transmission cooler does two things... first, it warms the fluid as the engine comes up to temperature, then it cools the fluid as the transmission is worked.

Hydraulics are a funny thing.... If the fluid is too cold or too hot, the transmission does not operate properly and its longevity suffers.

Most times, the temperature in the radiator is kept in the 175 to 210 degree F range... this is optimal for a transmission to function properly. The transmission WILL build much higher temperatures when under extreme loads.

A GOOD aftermarket transmission cooler that mounts ahead of the heat of the radiator will be thermostatically controlled and will by-pass when the fluid temperature is too low. If you drive very conservatively on a cold day and are only using an auxilary transmission cooler without a by-pass, the transmission will suffer.

Lee DeLaBarre Daytona62

Reply to
Lee

The fluid lines on a water cooled trans are tapped from the front pump circuit and runs through a coil in the lower radiator tank. Obviously if the radiator temp is maintained around 180, then the trans fluid will be either heated up to or cooled down to that temp. The temp sender for a trans should always be placed,somewhere, in the pan. Purolater sells a remote trans filter setup with a temp sender option, but the fluid lines from the trans always come from the converter through the front pump and are hotter than the actual trans temperature. When the fluid is returned from the cooler, it's dumped over the drums and gearsets, which drains into the pan, so your actual temperature sample is better taken from there.

Reply to
SilverStude

Interesting explanation. The '64 Champ I had until it was totaled in '83 had a Powershift tranny. It had the water-cooler radiator, but I added another transmission oil cooler through which the oil went before reaching the radiator. One winter (snowing and about 20 degrees) I was pulling a

14-foot cargo trailer loaded with two dealer stocks of parts and I couldn't get it to shift from 2 to 3 until I had driven maybe a 100 miles. Maybe I was keeping the fluid too cool. Paul Johnson
Reply to
Paul Johnson

The temperture of the water going into the top of the radiator is supposed to be at the thermostat setting. The water coming out of the bottom is supposed to be much, much cooler. jf

Reply to
jerrystudebaker

Just the opposite of beer, huh? Jeff

"jerrystudebaker" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

When I rebuilt the HFH, I discovered that the transmission lines went to the lower portion of the radiator.

The two ports looked to have been re"brazed" over. There was no sensor in so far as to regulate the temp of the fluid, that I could see.

I read a lot about the metal that divides the coolant section from the transmission fluid failing over the years so I added an external cooler ahead of the radiator, and have not had problems. I would love to find a method to determine both oil temp and fluid temp.There was a service bulletin for the Ultramatic that was titled. Transmission does not shift properly at operating temerature.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Glass

Hmmmm, I have basically the same setup on my T-cab but it never really gets that cold around here. But I expect you might in northern areas especially since I also have the HD three row radiator...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to