Uh Oh Better Get Maaco

Anybody ever use Maaco for small ding/dent repair and paint, besides Danny (partridge family)Bonaduce? Lou

Reply to
Larkylou

Had my 57 Champion done by Maaco. Cost about $800.00. Some small repairs done. Paint is driver quality which was what I wanted. Your prep is all too important. Each Maaco does different quality of work based on the boss and employee's attitude. Mine was not friendly to us special interest cars. Should have brought it to another one on Staten island. We Had two. Now one. The one I went to has since closed. IMHO! Flathead.

Reply to
Matthew.RussoVikos

Regarding Maaco;

My friend has a 1967 Ford Ranchero 289 3-Spd that was originally yellow with about 27 other colors in various places. The neighbors complained about the way it looked, and city was leaving him notices that the truck was a nuisance, and would be towed.

He took it to Maaco, got the $499 Presidents special (the summer deal they run in the Midwest) in single-stage Torch red, and put on a $100 swap meet set of aluminum slots.

Its not great, but it makes the car way more enjoyable to drive. You can still see the body dents he had "fixed" and ripples/orangepeel if you get close. You can see where they didn't use enough hardener in the plastic filler, and you can see where specs of dirt landed while the paint was still tacky. He knows that he's going to have to get it re-done by a real body shop down the road, but for now, It's a decent

20 footer and the city no longer bothers him about the car.

I agree that it's all based on boss and employee's attitude. I was semi-worried when they kept referring to it as an El Camino when we picked it up.

Gordtherogue

Reply to
Gordtherogue

far from good but good from afar.......it does not matter find a bow tie guy to ever say they made a better motor for the year.......Got a

292 for you
Reply to
darrel

I had my 86 Jeep Cherokee painted at the local Macco Shop. They broke my windshield, didn't put the pieces back together, and went out of bussiness.

No matter who you are, bad business practices will do you in. The problem is the bad feelings that are left toward the franchaise. I'll never use another chain shop for body work or paint.

Geno

64 R2 Avanti

64 Daytona Convertible

Reply to
jeep4cyl

I might let them paint my dodge dakota first, and then, maybe the lark.

Reply to
Larkylou

I had a 62 GT Hawk and a 63 Lark Daytona cleaned up and painted by a local Maaco and they did a good job for daily driver quality; just beneath factory quality but absolutely not comparable for a super- duper custom paint job. They are good to do up a daily driver where you won't get upset if you pick up a stone ding or two driving to work........

-George-

63 GT Hawk 56 Sky Hawk 63 Champ
Reply to
reichsrundfunk

useless comments:

bought a '67 Checker in '77 as a winter beater (GREAT car: civilian model, 327, ps, pb, cruisomatic, tinted, AM-FM, & air, 6 new tires - paid $200))......filled the holes with bondo and did some crude prep work. back then, Earl Schieb would "paint any car any color for $29.95".......since that was too much, I waited for a special and got it done for $19.95 - including the jams.

not too many years ago, had a Buick Elektra for a driver......paint was faded and took it to Maaco.......not a bad job, but they lost the fender skirts. a couple weeks later they found some and painted them to match. always wondered where they got them!

as with any franchise operation, it comes down to the local owner, manager & employees.......but any detail prep that worries you is best done by you. it then becomes a matter of are the Maaco prices worth it compared to a known independent shop. Last year I had a local shop repaint my '57 Clipper........no rust and minimal prep needed......I took all the chrome off except f/r window moldings which they masked. $2000 for a two-tone basecoat/clearcoat job matched to the factory colors. I'd call it show quality and certainly a bargain compared to what Maaco would have charged.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Maaco shops vary ( widely) in their expertise and operation. From my experience, in Northern Va, both shops (Merrifield and Chantilly) have issues. One operation sounded too shady, the other appeared to be run by a bunch of kids. The prices in both shops were the same except for the top of the line job. Both shops had posters defining a job level, but the most expensive job poster in one shop had no price. When I asked, the price he quoted was $300 higher than the other shop. If you have the time & space to work on your car, do it yourself.

Reply to
Bob Johnstone