US Gear Overdrive

Has anyone used a US Gear Overdrive unit with a 63 Avanti automatic transmission? Allen

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

Well, After spending $1800 on the O/D, and a few hundred on the GM trans adapter, not counting the transmission, you'd have to run either a T350 or a T400 trans to use it, and I wonder if it would even clear the X'member... Jeff

"satdoc2 via CarKB.com" wrote Has anyone used a US Gear Overdrive unit with a 63 Avanti automatic

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Greetings, Allen,

A quick look under an Avanti and a glance at the Gear Vendors ad photo would tell anyone, "No way, No how, without cutting up the X-member.

FWIW, the 700R4 or 2004R GM automatic overdrive conversions give much the same result with much less hassle.

thnx, jv.

Reply to
PackardV8

I hear you. I drove my '64 R-2 automatic with a 3.73 all the way across country (California to Eastern Panhandle,West Virginia- couldn't even hear the AM-FM. I changed it to a 3.73 and it made a pleasant cruiser of it (could hear the AM-FM). Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

Reply to
satdoc2 via CarKB.com

The most noticable difference to the ordinary driver would be the gear spread. If you lived with a Powershift for many years and like to use the 'manual' mode, winding up in 1st, then 2nd, forget it with the 700. First gear is so low, that it's hard to believe you need it.

Reply to
SilverStude

The 700R4 is a lot longer. (6 to 8") Without getting technical, the 22R4 will fit where a TH350 was, and a 700R4 needs a bit more room because of the length. (Say, for an X-member in an early car. I hear a lot of people have put 700R4's into Avanti's, so the X-member must not come into play too awful bad.

"satdoc2 via CarKB.com" wrote..

Reply to
Jeff Rice

If you have an Avanti II with a Powershift, then you can drop a 700 in with NO trouble, other than reworking the exhaust thru the x-member

Reply to
SilverStude