What are AN fittings?

This may seem simple, but no one has ever explained it to me. What are AN fittings? I see them in all my catalogs and they look good. Are they like the double flare fittings I make for my brake lines? Are there special tools needed to use them? Do the sizes match up to 3/8 th, 5/8 th tubing? And what does AN stand for? Are they primarily used for fuel?

Tony in Austin

Reply to
Tony in Austin

Alex Magdaleno

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com...

IIRC, decades ago I took a 2000 PSI AN fabric-wrapped line up to

20,000 psi before it started making funny noises.

Karl. (AN means Army Navy, IIRC)

Reply to
midlant

As previously posted it stands for Army Navy and are the mil spec for tubing and fittings used for the military. It was adopted by the aircraft industry for use in civil aviation. They are used for most anything carrying fluids in an airplane. From what I remember from A & P school they are single flair and 37 degrees.

Hope that helps,

Kevin Edwards (AKA Wounded Knee in Tennessee)

Coming soon,

AirLandSea
37 1/2 degree
Reply to
Dave

A common brand is Aeroquip. 37 deg flare fittings are also used in industrial applications.

-- wf.

Dave wrote:

Reply to
randee