Who killed the electric car (OT)

Reply to
Oujdeivß

A while back someone had a link to a company that was building custom aluminum frames and they specifically mentioned Avanti.

Just double checked, it wasn't aluminum, it was stainless.

click on "Automotive" and it's the top button.

Wasn't cheap though.

Jeff DeWitt

Oujdeivß wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Point of Interest.

In 1991 I moved from San Jose to England.

The standard electrical rates there were about the same as those in San Jose with Pacific Gas & Electrical. BUTTTT, for seven hours in the middle of the night, it shifted "Economy Seven" and the electrical rate dropped by one-half!

They don't have Geothermal, like PG&E. Thay are not "nationalized." They don't have much in the way of high dams to provide electrical power. They do have some nukes. They also get nuke electicity from France in a small amount.) They do have multiple firms providing electricity, as with gas and phone service, to the individual homes. Take your choice and change anytime you want. Feel free to check this with anyone lived in GB in the 1990s, or who still do. (Feel free to pass this on to your electrical supplier, for that matter.)

(I feel that I am getting close to making this a political item, so will stop now.)

Karl

snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net wrote:

Reply to
midlant

That frame should work for a Lark body, shouldn't it? Fiberglass fenders, trunk and back seat full of batteries.....

Jeff DeWitt wrote:

Reply to
Pat Drnec

I've worke on Hazmat calls. Put some absorbent on it and bag it up.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

Pat, most stainless I've handled is heavier than mild steel in the same size. Full of nickle and chromium, etc. which are denser than good old iron.

A Zip van would be a good candidate for an electric Studebaker. Keep it in postal livery and park in loading zones, LOL.

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Toyota also made an all electric car (modified RAV4) They started to do the same thing as GM and did not renew the leases. A huge protest action at Toyota dealerships made Toyota change their minds and gave the lessors an option to buy the car. My daughter leased a EV1 and was very happy with it. The car was hauled back to a storage lot in Burbank after the lease ran out. My daughter tried to buy the car but GM did not respond. A vigil was organised in Burbank and hundreds of protesters showed up. An offer was made to GM to buy the cars at new owners risk with the cars being sold as salvage vehicles with no liability to GM. The cars were crushed any way. Toyota being a more responsible company sold their electric RAV 4's. My daughter is very happy with their RAV4 and put solar cells on her roof to charge the car. My youngest son has a Lexus We all have Toyota products now and my oldest son just ordered a Toyota Camry Hybrid. There is a 6 month waiting period because so many are being sold. I am all for buying from American products but I despise GM. There would not have been Ralph Nader problems if GM had simply put a "Hold Harmless" clause when they sold these beautifull cars to the former owners as salvage vehicles. Saturn did an ad at one time where they destroyed hundreds of Saturn cars because they did not meet their standards. They could have brought these up to their standards and not destroy these. I hate waste!!!!.

R.B.Kapteyn

Reply to
rkapteyn

I hate waste too, and really hate it when a neat car is destroyed for no apparent reason.

However since the EV1 was a purpose built electric car instead of a converted gasoline one like the Toyota the parts issues would have been a lot more severe then for the Toyota.

No matter what papers were signed I'm sure GM could see the lawyers circling and just didn't want the hassle, expense, and potential liability you can't really blame them.

Besides, no one killed the electric car, it's alive an well...

Jeff DeWitt

snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

It's amazing on how the American auto industry is destroying itself. I too would NEVER buy a domestic car these days.

I drive an old (but new to me) '83 Civic and currently am getting close to 40 mpg for mixed driving. The car has operated perfectly since being put back on the road in May after a 12 year sleep.

JT

(Who filled the tank today and it would only take 4.8 gallons...)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Reply to
Stuuder