'04 Forester XT oil consumption redux

Well, I checked oil level again (actually, three times), and concluded that I may have not had the dipstick pushed quite all the way down in earlier checks; OR, engine temp may have been different. This time (with the engine having cooled for about an hour, ambient air about 55 degrees F.), the level was even with the end of the top cross line on the "F" and that's about 1/8" (maybe slightly less) from the "Full" marker hole. As I recall, that's about where the level's been from the beginning. In any event, it appears not to have burned much, if any.

Thanks to all for the posts on this subject, especially the reference to the Impreza site with the extended post on breaking in new engines.

Reply to
H. Whelply

Hi,

As "Verbs" posted, you want to develop a routine to keep the variables to a minimum to get accurate readings. I prefer to check in the morning, after the car has sat on the level garage floor overnight. Checking warm can cause variations of up to 1/4" (or right at 1/4 qt.) on the stick in my engine depending on temperature. Any variations from level can show even greater changes.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright