Re: '04 Forester XT oil consumption redux

Well, I checked oil level again (actually, three times), and concluded that

> I may have not had the dipstick pushed quite all the way down in earlier > checks; OR, engine temp may have been different. This time (with the engine > having cooled for about an hour, ambient air about 55 degrees F.), the level > was even with the end of the top cross line on the "F" and that's about 1/8" > (maybe slightly less) from the "Full" marker hole. As I recall, that's about > where the level's been from the beginning. In any event, it appears not to > have burned much, if any. > > Thanks to all for the posts on this subject, especially the reference to the > Impreza site with the extended post on breaking in new engines.

Note that the dipstick enters the oil pan at a steep angle (to the vertical), thus if the car is not perfectly level, the reading will be skewed by a considerable amount. Also, the tube is very narrow, so when re-inserting the dipstick, oil can be pulled off the walls of the tube, giving an erroneous reading. Here's my technique: When at a fuel stop, I pull the dipstick and wipe it clean. I then partially re-insert it (just a few inches...the tube is serving as a convenient place to store the dipstick while I'm waiting for the oil that clings to the walls of the tube to drain) and get on with the fueling. With the fueling complete, I gently push the dipstick all the way home, and gently remove it for an accurate reading.

Reply to
Verbs Under My Gel