'99 GC Engine Explodes ... information needed

Dear Friends,

Our company

owns a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.0 L engine. Yesterday while driving on the highway its engine blew up --- the top of piston in cylinder #5 is shrapnel and has damaged that cylinder and also #6. Until then, the Jeep was regularly maintained at a dealer here in San Jose, CA. There were no advance signs of trouble -- no funny sounds, or even displays on the instrument panel. Just sudden death. The vehicle has 72k miles,

80% of which were from highway driving. It had the standard 3 yr/36k mile warranty.

I need your help, in the form of INFORMATION to help build a case against Jeep to motivate them to replace the engine. I am looking for other informatin and problems that can substantiate known problems with the engine, catalytic converter, or ignition system.

Today, multiple calls to the dealer and their 1-800-992-1997 service center have, predictably, resulted in nothing. Just a cold "its your problem and this call needs to end."

HERE IS HOW YOU CAN HELP ...

I think Jeep had problems with that engine and is keeping it quiet. I need information to be armed agains those who say no at Jeep.

I have learned that engine was only in production for that one model year (highly unusual given the costs for designing and tooling up for production). Unlike other engines, for this Jeep doesn't sell complete engines for replacement, only short block and head. The (non -Jeep) repair shop where the vehicle was towed was shocked at that. They speculate that the blow up was caused by a problem in the catalytic converter -- perhaps an explosion there and back pressure causing another explosion in the cylinder.

WHAT do you in this group know about this engine? Are there any recurring problems or symptoms?

Are there any known problems with the catalytic converter?

WHAT hot buttons do you recommend pushing to motivate Jeep's management to settle?

HOW does Jeep approach situations like this? HOW to get over the moat

What other ideas do you have that might explain why a piston would suddely explode?

Am I off base here? Am I wrong to expect that it is unusual for an engine to explode? Am I wrong to think that its Jeep's responsibility to fix their product under these unusual circumstances?

Thanks for your help. Paul

Reply to
paul castle

L.W.(ßill)

Could have sucked a valve.... but thats a very rare occurance in a vehicle that's driven 'normally'. Two sucked valves .....nah.

Its pretty rare for such a catastrophic failure (TWO pistons) to occur and NOT have 'some' prior warning. "Judgment for the plaintiff ..... FIVE PERCENT of CLAIM, failed to take reasonable/prudent action to prevent on-going total damage".

Paul, for your own sake, ERASE/DELETE your original message to this NG. How much service or recourse from DC do you expect, now that you've announced to the world that you're "building a case". Honey gets more flys than vinegar.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
RichH

All sorts of things. Cracked gasket burning coolant and eroding piston, cracked exhaust manifold or intake leak causing lean burn. Or as Bill says, lots of pinging caused by using low octane fuel.

Not sure about the 99 4.0 I6 being a one-year run. They did make changes to the engine but afaik the block and head are the same from the 93 I6.

You can get rebuilt 4.0 and even 4.7 strokers from several engine shops. And probably at a substantial savings to stealership costs. (sorry, don't have the link right with me) With that much damage your looking at a full rebuild anyway, who knows what damage got caused when the metal started flying.

Reply to
DougW

Wow, that engine is a normally an indestructable one...

We have almost 300K km on ours and when it is down a liter of oil, we are over the mileage tag for an oil change....

Just happened yesterday, it was down a liter so I asked my wife the km's and it has been 6000+ km since the last change.

Sorry I can't help your cause, I have been on this group for a lot of years and your problem is a brand new one, not at all common or even ever happening to anyone that has posted here as far as I can remember....

Mike

paul castle wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You're not going to find many, if any, 4.0L engine owners (I've owned three of them) that will say it's anything but a good solid reliable engine. I don't know why yours blew but it's anything but common. The most common adjective used to describe that particular engine is "bulletproof".

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Your thinking something does not make it fact.

Also highly incorrect. The 4.0L engine was introduced in 1987, and is based on a design that dates from the 1960's.

How much more do you want? A 'short block and head' is called a long block.

Your repair shop is clueless, then.

It's a proven design with no durability issues.

They tend to leak oil at the valve cover, rear main seal, and cylinder head gasket.

They break up and rattle.

Bad luck. I saw a Toyota engine that put a rod through the block around 50k miles. It was full of clean oil, and was owned by the proverbial little old lady. It was well out of the time warranty, but only a few thousand miles over the mileage warranty. Toyota fixed it.

Yes.

No. Unusual, but hardly unprecedented.

Yes. You will not force DC to exceed their warranty. Remember, you have doubled the mileage originally warrantied by the factory.

Reply to
steelwhee

Reply to
DeepDiver

Sugar in the gas tank?

Anyway, s> Dear Friends,

Reply to
Jamie

Reply to
FrankW

A very common, typically bulletproof engine, with quirks that are well known to any shop that knows jeeps.

First you need to check your owners manual for how to get warranty service. Then you can also check the California Bureau of Automotive Repair for essentially the same information from a slightly different perspective.

Which jeep dealer in San Jose? There are only a few.

That isn't the Chrysler warranty period for that vehicle, particularly for the drivetrain which is 7/70.

Unless the dealer has some reason to suspect that this was due to an externally induced fault and not a defect of the engine...OR you are making the mistake of not dealing with an authorised repair facility and want Jeep to give warranty service without giving them a chance to inspect the damage and resolve the issue which becomes a bit trickier to deal with.

Note that you do not have to take your jeep to the same dealer, but you can expect a bit of difficulty getting warranty service thru a non-warranty repair shop unless you have a third party warranty that provides for this.

Any qualified lawyer [without which you don't have a prayer] would have no problems at all gathering this information for you.

You can also gather anecdotal information with any search engine for yourself.

In your owners manual and on the chrysler website there are details as to what the manufacturer warranty provides and does not provide.

Nothing you gain here will be worth anything that you cant get on your own.

Whoever told you this is wrong, and worse, ignorantly wrong since this is information easily checked.

Ahhh, so you don't have your vehicle at a Jeep Dealer? And if that shop gave you the misinformation concerning warranty period and engine series, you may want to get your vehicle out of that shop immediately.

Without seeing the piston, hard to say. Prolonged pinging can take one out rapidly. The ones I've seen like this tended to have a somewhat melted look.

Demand warranty service from an authorised dealer. Which could get sticky since you've already had the engine taken apart by a non-authorized service place and thus given the dealer possible legal grounds to tell you to pound sand.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

He can't delete it, as it is included intact in followups which he can't delete.

RichH wrote:

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Cats last until you smash 'em, or until you can't pass smog unless you change them. Sometimes they barely last 70,000 miles, sometimes they last twice that.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I so love living in an area that I don't have to bribe my way through that damn state inspection anymore! Maybe there is a good point to living in this mosquito-swamp after all.

Reply to
A.H. MacIntosh aka USERNAME

linseed oil works better.

Reply to