04 OBW - 2 Problems

04 OBW LL Bean (6 cyl). About 70K miles- two new problems:

  1. When the AC comes on, we hear a noise that sounds like it is coming from behind the dash or maybe the rear of the engine compartment, and is mostly on the passenger side. The sound is a cross between a loose belt or bad compressor kind of sound (squeal, but not real loud like it would be if it was a loose belt), and a kind of squishy sound. It only happens when the AC is on, not the fan or heat. I opened the hood, and cannot hear it from the engine side of things. About 4000 miles ago, I had to have more refrigerant put in, as it wasn't running as cold as normal.

  2. This one is weird- first the driver's side view mirror would not allow me to move it sideways with the toggle switch, but the passenger side did, do it's not the switch. Plus, if I force the mirror by hand a few times, it will start to work again. The up/down always works. Now, the passenger side is starting to do the exact same thing. So far, it is either one side or the other, not both at the same time.

Any ideas on either question? Thanks.

Reply to
Owlyn

I had to have the suction and discharge hoses replaced on my wife's '03 OBW for leakage of refrigerant.

I dunno about the mirror.

are they still under warranty?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Nah. Almost 70K - no extended, but that's okay.

Reply to
Owlyn

If the mirror is forced by hand, it may happen that the motor/gear assy gets to the end of its travel with the mirror still out of position.

The way i fixed it in my 03 was by forcing the mirror manually in the direction i wanted it to go, a bit more than what i wanted. Then, with the electric adjustment, back up the bit so it was in the position I wanted.

I hope it works for you.

I also had to replace the high pressure hose coming out of the compressor due to a leak through the crimping

Could the squeal/noise you hear caused by the compressor clutch?

Sometimes when a/c systems are low in refrigerant, the expansion valve makes noise. I had one replaced because every time the compressor engaged, the car would moan....lol

Good luck!

Owlyn wrote:

Reply to
AS

Turns out to be the same problem as yours- a leak at the crimping. They have to order parts. How much did it cost you for the repair?

AS wrote:

Reply to
Owlyn

It was just the cost of the hose because I did the rest.

By the time I got the hose from 1stsubaruparts.com, the system was already empty. I replaced the hose, pulled vacuum with a vacuum pump for 1/2 hour and then added the recommended amount of refrigerant.

Good luck!

Owlyn wrote:

Reply to
AS