05 Forester: armrest extension?

I've decided I need the armrest extension, even though it's probably overpriced for what you get (and could be higher).

I priced it at a local dealer, and although they offered a break on the price, it's still more than the US retail converted to C$. :(

I've also seen it listed online at a couple of site for a slight discount off US list. Is one site better than another (any Canadian sites)? Is there one you recommend over the others?

And is there anything at Canadian Tire that would do a similar job?

Thanks! =aw

andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

I tried to look around under the one in my wife's OBW and I thought MAYBE there could be a way to take of just the top section and put it on some standoffs of some kind - probably look too ghetto it it even worked. You might try these guys and generally check ebay - someone may buy one and not like it - or get one on a used Forester and not care for it and want to trade - ask at

too.

Carl

Andrew Webber wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks for the pointers!

=aw

andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

Have you actually tried one out? I just bought a 2005 OBW LL Bean model.

I was driving a BMW 328i with an armrest _similar_ to the one in the OBW & when I drove the OBW with the seat all the way back, even in that position I realized that my right arm would not rest on the armrest because the armrest was not long enough. It was in the BMW.

I realized that this was going to be a pain in the A** on long trips, so I sat in an OBW with the armrest extension to see if that would cure the problem.

It did not even come close, and that's for a tall guy with long legs with the seat all the way back. If you are shorter than my 6'3", then you are going to have the seat even closer to the wheel and the extended armrest will clearly be of no use whatsoever.

They need one about a foot longer, not one a few inches longer.

Gunni.

Reply to
R. Gerard

I agree it should be longer, but it did help (I got one from a local dealer, a last-minute trip came up). I'm 6'2" and have the seat all the way back. I certainly can't rest my right elbow on the extended armrest while it's on the wheel, but in cases where I'm just driving with my left it's some improvement. Also my passenger is very short, so while she can't reach the armrest while driving, while a passenger she's got the seat all the way back (and she likes a lot of recline) so it helps her! I also find it helpful while I'm the passenger.

So all in all it's not what it should be, but it seems to be better than nothing. I'm wondering if I could make my own lid for it, extending it forward.

Thanks for your comments!

=aw andrew [ snipped-for-privacy@wwwebbers.com]

Reply to
Andrew Webber

What about fabricating up something that fits snuggly into the cup holder sockets with an adjustable up/down feature?