05 Impreza Wagon clutch shudder

I've had the '05 (100K km) for about 4 months. The dealer replaced the clutch with a warrantied Subaru recon assembly, including flywheel grind just before I bought the car. So ... when the engine is hot, and mostly during start-stop traffic, the clutch often has mild to heavy shudder. I do not ride the clutch. NEVER does it when cold, and also not when I took a dealer mechanic for a drive. It had of course exhibited shudder on the way to the dealer. Also had shudder a couple of days ago on the way home from work when the it hit 31C here.

The dealer salesman (totally non technical type) has been unwilling to let me drive another 05 (though they have 3) to compare operation and vehicle feel, which just thrills me NO end. His attitude is "take it to the technicians to diagnose" and "driving another one won't help". The technicians are helpful, but cannot do anything until I can demonstrate the problem.

I remain completely unconvinced that this shudder is a "Subaru quirk", and in fact I suspect that the recon unit is faulty. Good thing it has a warranty.

And so to my question...

Does anyone have issues with mild clutch shudder in 05 or 06 wagons?

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I do not in my 06.( I do frequently have some jerking at take-off, caused mostly I think by my desire to not slip the clutch too much. I CAN drive more smoothly, I just don't!) The was a problem with some earlier models I think. They called it 'judder' so you might try a search with that term. I think you may be stuck until you can demonstrate the problem to a tech and/or confirm it isn't just a break in or driver induced problem by driving another car.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I had it with my 03 at the beginning. But only when cold. Once warmed up it was fine. Subaru replaced it at 40,000kms. I still get some very mild shudder every now and then, but pretty rare. Your problem sounds different. Your dealer sounds like a jerk too.

Reply to
Chico

On the 00-02 Foresters according the the Subaru tech. Yes, judder is the (British) term, shudder is also very common ('cause it sounds like judder...)

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

**Well, that's a bit reassuring. I had an O5, but didn't have any clutch shudder problems as far as I know. I have an 08 now and, as with the 05, I have some jerking at take-off for the same reasons as you. With the 08, you really do have to spin up the engine a bit for a smooth take-off :) I try to find the happy medium. I miss my 05 a ton!

Question: What is clutch shudder exactly?

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

Clutch shudder (or judder) is a moderate to severe vibration on take off that causes the entire engine/transmissoin to jump about on its mounts. It can occur if an engine mount is loose or broken (and can break mounts) , but the main cause is the clutch driven plate and pressure plate surfaces are not parallel. As the clutch is slipped to take off, the high points on the surfaces grab.

Non parallel surfaces can occur when

- the driven plate is grossly overheated and warps.

- one or more of the driven plate springs is broken. You may hear some "chattering" noise in this case.

- the pressure plate is warped, or warps with heat. This is what I suspect is happening to my car.

- a new clutch was fitted and the flywheel surface was not ground or ground incorrectly.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

**Okay, now I'm visualizing clutch shudder better.

**Excellent! Many thanks for your reply, Stewart.

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom