05 Impreza RS wagon occasional clutch shudder

Had the wagon 6 weeks and still getting used to the quirks of Subaru's. Its done 96000km and had the clutch replaced (only because of a rear main oil leak) according to the Sube dealer, under warranty, a couple of months before I got it.

It seems to me that the engine/trans moves around more than I'm used to on other cars, and I've had clutch shudder a couple of times in the last week.

So the question is ... should I be looking at loose or soft or broken engine mounts, or something else?

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

I've just gotten used to mine. I think Subies tend to have a slightly harder clutch than other cars, possibly because of the AWD system.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

Never hurts to check the engine and transmission mounting hardware (to include the cross member), especially considering that someone has had it apart recently.

I can't say specifically for the '05 cars, but the clutch shudder issue has cropped up on my '99, and on my wife's '02 Foresters. I cheap'd out when I replaced the clutch on mine a couple years back, and installed one of the "OE Spec" (Gripforce maybe?) clutch packages from an ebay vendor. Now, not only does it shudder, but the pedal will sometimes go to the floor and stick there; weak-a__ pressure plate.

When I replaced the clutch on the missus' car last fall, I spent the extra $$$ and got one of the Exedy "Stage I" performance clutches.

Problem solved.

As soon as I get hold of one of those elusive round to-its, (_and_ an extra $300) I'm gonna do the same thing for my car. "Poor man buys twice" they say . . .

ByeBye! S. Steve Jernigan KG0MB Laboratory Manager Microelectronics Research University of Colorado (719) 262-3101

I checked the all engine mounts and they are OK. Also had a word with the dealer service bod who suggested a bit more revs and slip the clutch a bit more. I have been doing this anyway and shudder is never a problem, so I guess its just a quirk of the Subaru at low revs.

My '05 Impreza 2.5RS wagon is very nice: at the dealer tonite was an '04 Forester 2.5XT. It DID cross my mind that maybe I could trade over to it ... but I'd never convince my wife. After all, I do have my 93 Eagle Summit "GTX AWD turbo" coupe [yes, its Black Cherry (sort of red) and yes I'm over

50) to play with (just as soon as I get the engine back in it...).

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

My 05 Forester has bad clutch shudder on half lock - and its an automatic !! I think it must be the clutch in the transfer box, and it gets worse the more I load the vehicle.

Reply to
Gilbert Smith