Unleaded smell

I have always had a whiff of rotten egg gas whenever accelerating heavily in my 05 OB. Lately however the smell is more evident even when driving normally around town. The car is going in for its 37500 klm service shortly and was wondering if anybody has had the same experience, and what the problem (if any) could be. The dealer may know what the problem is right away, but dealers being dealers - know what I mean?

Reply to
Phil

Rotten egg smell comes from the catalytic converter in the exhaust system. Not too uncommon when you've been driving around town and then do a heavy throttle run. I'm not sure if I've ever smelt mine when just driving around town or idling.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Hi,

Does is go away for a while after a long run at highway speeds?

As Ed said, rotten egg smell is a cat symptom: your cat may be "weak" or perhaps there's a sensor (or even a dirty air cleaner) causing a "run rich" condition which is stressing the cat (and will lead to premature failure.) If you do a lot of really short runs where nothing gets good and hot, the same condition might exist just by virtue of usage conditions (why I asked if it goes away after a good run.)

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Phil,

Perhaps your fuel contains sulphur-containing compounds, and the oxidation of these compounds is taking place in the cat. I am not a chemist :-)

Reply to
mylesv

If you smell it inside the vehicle there is something rotten in your OB.

Reply to
who