2004 F-150 5.4 is possessed...

Friend's dad just bought a used F-150, 2004, 5.4 Triton engine.

When he got it he knew it'd been wrecked and repaired. When he got it he h ad two keys but only one key fob. Also the keys did not operate the lock c ylinder in the driver's door, which I offered to fix for him. I was going to pop the lock cylinder out and take it to a locksmith with the key and ha ve it rekeyed. At the same time, friend was doing some other work on it, b rakes etc. Well before I had a chance to deal with the lock cylinder the b attery went dead in my friend's driveway with the doors locked, so now it w as well and truly immobile as there was no way to get into the vehicle unle ss my friend wanted to try to charge the battery from the starter from unde rneath, which he didn't feel comfortable doing. The other day he had a mob ile locksmith come out and break into the vehicle, I met him there and put a battery charger on it. Today my friend put a new battery in the vehicle and when he hooked up the negative terminal the truck apparently started it self and remained idling in the driveway, and that's when he called me. H already lifted the battery terminal as soon as this happened but it remaine d running off the alternator. I told him to hook the battery back up and n ot to lift the terminal until we got the engine stopped (so as not to cause ripples that might take out electronics), he tried stuffing a towel in the intake tubing, that did not stop the engine. While I was on the phone wit h him I got online and tried to find the location of the fuel pump fuse and /or relay and even the owner's manual

5e.pdf

is silent on the matter.

1) can anyone think of any explanation for this other than that there's an aftermarket remote start installed that is now glitching and needs to be re moved?

2) how do you kill this engine when running? Can anyone inform us as to th e location of the fuel pump relay and/or fuse?

I'm really trying not to say "I told you so" because I'm not a big fan of t his particular truck to begin with, what with all the spark plug issues and such like...

thanks!

nate

Reply to
N8N

On Sunday, January 4, 2015 2:37:08 PM UTC-6, N8N wrote:

[...]

Pull fuse 34

Reply to
wws

It almost has to be a remote starter, although there was an issue some years ago where a GM model would start itself, and stay running. Owners would park the car in the driveway, come out the next morning, and the car would be out of gas. Some wires, obviously including to the starter solenoid, were shorting to power. Unfortunately, with this truck having been in a wreck, I guess it's possible that you do have wiring rubbed through somewhere, but it's still far more likely that it's a remote starter. Just rip out anything that is obviously added on, and reconnect any cut wires.

Also, remote starters are supposed to shut the engine off if you press the brake pedal without inserting and turning on the key. Did you try that?

Reply to
Bill W

[...]

Didn't, but got that exact same suggestion elsewhere and passed it on to my friend (I wasn't there when this happened but on the other end of the phon e.) Based on the custom wheels that came with it I'm guessing a remote sta rter was likely. I've never had one; of all the cars I've had in my life, exactly five had an automatic transmission. One I converted to a four spee d and another I was collecting parts for a 3/OD conversion before I sold it . Combine that with having grown up around lots of hills, and I never cons idered installing remote start on any of my vehicles. I think one of my co mpany cars may have had it but I never used it.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I've never dealt with those either, so I don't have any more info on them.

Reply to
Bill W