1993 Loyale Turns Over, Won't Start

Hi Everyone,

I have a 1993 Loyale 5-speed with 180,000. While in 5th gear I started loosing power, so I started to down shift to 4th and 3rd and so on. Finally their was no more power and had to get it towed. Any help would be aprreciated.

Thank you

Reply to
sjillson14

loosing power, so I started to down shift to 4th and 3rd and so on. Finally their was no more power and had to get it towed. Any help would be aprreciated.

Thank you

Is the clutch worn out?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

loosing power, so I started to down shift to 4th and 3rd and so on. Finally their was no more power and had to get it towed. Any help would be aprreciated.

Hi,

We might need more info on what was happening as you "lost power." I assume this happened w/o all the red lights going on as the engine immediately quit? (Symptomatic of t-belt breaking.) My '90 Loyale suffered a similar fate (at twice the miles on yours!) but it was accompanied by a huge cloud of white smoke the last few hundred yards it took to get pulled off the road. No. 3 cylinder's gone--ZERO compression--haven't done a post-mortem to see why. Hope your problem's not as serious.

Have you checked all the electrical connections and made sure you'ge got spark? Pulled the plugs to make sure they're not too fouled to fire? Do you have access to a timing light to make sure the distributor mounting bolts didn't come loose or something else happened to shift timing? Have you removed the distributor cap to make sure the rotor and cap are still "there" w/o loss of the carbon contact in the center of the cap or other damage? Checked fuel output to ensure your pump's still working, fuel filter isn't clogged, etc.? Checked all the vacuum and PCV hoses to make sure something didn't "jump off" its connector? Do you have access to a compression tester to see if all the cylinders are still working properly? There are LOTS of possibilities. You'll want to work thru the simple and obvious first (must have fuel, spark, and both at the right time--"timing"--before worrying about anything else), then get into the more exotic.

Good luck!

Rick Thank you

Reply to
Rick Courtright

sjillson14 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@no-mx.carstalk.net:

Sounds a lot like my old GL when it lost a timing belt. Take off the distributor cap and watch the rotor while you crank it. If it doesn't turn you've probably lost the timing belt.

If it does turn and you're getting spark dump a little fuel into the throttle body, (no more than a half ounce or so), then crank while holding the accelerator all the way to the floor. If it comes close to starting or runs briefly you know it's a fuel delivery problem. Check fuel pump fuse, fuel pump relay, fuel pump.

Did the oil pressure light come on before you lost power? The fuel pump relay is supposed to shut off the fuel pump if you lose oil pressure.

Check a few things and post what you find out.

Reply to
Joe Kultgen