1995 Subaru Legacy starting problems

My legacy is having issues! It often will not start. It turns over but there is no clicking noise. I also sometimes smell gas and getting poor gas mileage as well. If it will not start i let it sit and after 30 minutes or so it will start again. If the motor is cold it usually starts. Also, when i come to a stop sign it idles way down ( 200-300) RPM?s. I have to give it gas when stopped to keep it from stalling, and if it dies at this point it is difficult to get it to start again. I am a college student with a limited income please help! Advise i have gotten so far is: Crankshaft (crank angle) position sensor, leaky injector, and bad ground. I don?t know where to start, please help.

starving college student

Reply to
errksnerk

I would add a bad MAF, bad oxygen sensor and possibly bad engine temp sensor (keeping the ECU in a 'rich' mode) to the list.

Is the check engine light on? Can you get the codes read?

Also, post your city/area as someone here may know of a reputavble mechanic/dealership located nearby.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I live in Reno Nevada. The check engine light is on. Should i go to a dealership or will any mechanic do?

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote: > errksnerk wrote: > > > My legacy is having issues! It often will not start. It > turns over > > but there is no clicking noise. I also sometimes smell gas > and > > getting poor gas mileage as well. If it will not start i > let it sit > > and after 30 minutes or so it will start again. If the > motor is cold > > it usually starts. Also, when i come to a stop sign it > idles way down > > ( 200-300) RPM?s. I have to give it gas when stopped to keep > it from > > stalling, and if it dies at this point it is difficult to > get it to > > start again. I am a college student with a limited income > please > > help! Advise i have gotten so far is: Crankshaft (crank > angle) > > position sensor, leaky injector, and bad ground. I don?t > know where > > to start, please help. > > > > starving college student > > > > I would add a bad MAF, bad oxygen sensor and possibly bad > engine temp > sensor (keeping the ECU in a 'rich' mode) to the list. > > Is the check engine light on? Can you get the codes read? > > Also, post your city/area as someone here may know of a > reputavble > mechanic/dealership located nearby. > > Carl > > > -- > to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Reply to
errksnerk

Someone here may be familiar with your area. I am not. But, if you have an Autozone or perhaps other parts dealer - they will sometimes read and/or clear codes(they expect you will buy a part from them). Or, pay a friendly mechanic $10-%15 to do it for you. Best procedure - if possible, get the codes read, WRITE THEM DOWN ACCURATELY and post them here. try to get them to clear the codes. Likely, the light will come back on. THEN get them read again, and post. It is not uncommon to have an older car or a 'bad gas experience' set an occasional misfire code. We will be looking for a more specific code - hopefully pointing to a cheap sensor that would be inexpensive to replace.

Please note, Walmart, pepBoys ,A'zone and even harbor Freight and Ebay sell OBDII readers. I THINK your car is OBDII. ANYONE???

If it isn't, there's another way to get the codes. check

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I have a 1995 Legacy and it is OBDII

Reply to
Robert

Hey thanks for the reply! I got the codes read but the check engine light has not came back on yet. I don?t know which part of the code is useful so I?ll post everything that the machine said: J1850 Iso

9141 Keyword 2000. Once the light comes back on i will get it checked and post again. Thank you for help

Erik

"Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote: > errksnerk wrote: > > > I live in Reno Nevada. The check engine light is on. Should > i go to a > > dealership or will any mechanic do? > > > > "Carl 1 Lucky Texan" wrote: > > > errksnerk wrote: > > > > > > > My legacy is having issues! It often will not start. > It > > > turns over > > > > but there is no clicking noise. I also sometimes > smell gas > > > and > > > > getting poor gas mileage as well. If it will not > start i > > > let it sit > > > > and after 30 minutes or so it will start again. If the > > > motor is cold > > > > it usually starts. Also, when i come to a stop sign it > > > idles way down > > > > ( 200-300) RPM?s. I have to give it gas when stopped to > keep > > > it from > > > > stalling, and if it dies at this point it is difficult > to > > > get it to > > > > start again. I am a college student with a limited > income > > > please > > > > help! Advise i have gotten so far is: Crankshaft > (crank > > > angle) > > > > position sensor, leaky injector, and bad ground. I > don?t > > > know where > > > > to start, please help. > > > > > > > > starving college student > > > > > > > > > > I would add a bad MAF, bad oxygen sensor and possibly bad > > > engine temp > > > sensor (keeping the ECU in a 'rich' mode) to the list. > > > > > > Is the check engine light on? Can you get the codes read? > > > > > > Also, post your city/area as someone here may know of a > > > reputavble > > > mechanic/dealership located nearby. > > > > > > Carl > > > > > > > > > -- > > > to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net) > > > > > Someone here may be familiar with your area. I am not. > But, if you have an Autozone or perhaps other parts dealer - > they will > sometimes read and/or clear codes(they expect you will buy a > part from > them). Or, pay a friendly mechanic $10-%15 to do it for you. > Best procedure - if possible, get the codes read, WRITE THEM > DOWN > ACCURATELY and post them here. try to get them to clear the > codes. > Likely, the light will come back on. THEN get them read again, > and post. > It is not uncommon to have an older car or a 'bad gas > experience' set an > occasional misfire code. We will be looking for a more > specific code - > hopefully pointing to a cheap sensor that would be inexpensive > to replace. > > Please note, Walmart, pepBoys ,A'zone and even harbor Freight > and Ebay > sell OBDII readers. I THINK your car is OBDII. ANYONE??? > > If it isn't, there's another way to get the codes. check >

> > Carl > > > -- > to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Reply to
errksnerk

I don't see where those numbers mean anything according to Wikipedia. See:

Robert

The numbers you posted do not seem to be thr right format/range. Take a look at the OBDII section (bottom set) here;

for an idea of what we're looking for.

Does the car still have the problems you mentioned or is it running better? Sometimes clearing the code will reset to the factory map and a car might run better for a while.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

indicates that code "J1850" is a communication error. This could mean anything from the code reader used has a malfunction, there?s a bad connection to the code reader, your battery voltage is too low, there?s a bad connection out of your Subaru?s ECM (Engine Control Module), or maybe even internal issues with the ECM. You should try a different code reader, though, and then clean the connectors with electronic cleaner before trying another ECM (it?s important to follow the directions on the cleaner). Good luck!

"errksnerk" wrote: > My legacy is having issues! It often will not start. It > turns over but there is no clicking noise. I also sometimes > smell gas and getting poor gas mileage as well. If it will > not start i let it sit and after 30 minutes or so it will > start again. If the motor is cold it usually starts. Also, > when i come to a stop sign it idles way down ( 200-300) RPM's. > I have to give it gas when stopped to keep it from stalling, > and if it dies at this point it is difficult to get it to > start again. I am a college student with a limited income > please help! Advise i have gotten so far is: Crankshaft > (crank angle) position sensor, leaky injector, and bad ground. > I don't know where to start, please help. > > starving college student

Reply to
Fuzzy

OK I got it read again. Two items: P0340, Cam sensor and P0115, ECT. Where should I start? Auto zone said that the Camshaft Position Sensor is around $40 should i buy this and replace mine? Or should I look into the ECT first? Are either hard to replace? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks

Erik