1996 Legacy GT cooling fans running constantly

Was wondering if anybody has had the following problem?

Jumped into car to go to work this morning, spun over as usual but no firing; CEL on and cooling fans both running.

Guessing that it was a temperature sensor giving info that engine was warm, spun over again and struggled to get to start with a very low tick-over. I then very gently tweaked the accelerator pedal to get revs up and let engine warm for several minutes. Once warm, car ran as normal although CEL and fans stayed on.

Would appreciate any remedial suggestions to similar experience.

Thanks, Lenny

Reply to
Lenny

A couple of years ago I had the same problem with the Impreza - it was really hard to start but would run fine. I replaced the thermosensor to fix the problem.

If you replace the sensor, also reset the computer - if you don't reset it, the problem will not go away.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Thanks Remco

I reset the ECU a couple of hours ago and the problem has gone for now. Will look at the thermosensor if problem returns.

Lenny

Reply to
Lenny

I know absolutely zip about cars. We just had to replace the engine in our 97 Legacy Outback (it had overheated, etc.) -- the garage just installed a gently used one from Japan, and everything worked except for the fact that the fan won't go off unless the key is turned off. Any ideas? Thanks, David

Reply to
WDavidStephenson

Could be that thermosensor or main fan relay.

Reply to
Remco