1996 Subaru OB- problem shifting while turning corners

My '96 OB seems to shift out of gear when making tight corners or crawling up a steep incline at only a few MPH. (e.g. turning right or left from a complete or near complete stop or driving up a steep driveway at 3 or 4 MPH). The transmission feels like it's kicking into neutral, then 1st, then back to neutral. The RPMs coincide, reving high when it seemingly drops out of gear. Sometimes I have to stomp on it to get it to engage properly, otherwise the car bucks badly.

This doesn't feel like transmission slippage because it's so abrupt and it doesn't happen when I'm going above 5 or 6 MPH (of course I don't make 90 degree turns at above that anyway). I've also tried to induce slippage at regular speeds by letting the car shift down while going up a steep hill and trying to put the trans under a bigger load- but no slippage.

Trans going south on me? Differentials shot? Computer problems? I'm lost. Any insight would be most appreciated :)

Reply to
michaelis73

A 'jerkiness' on dry pavement during slow,sharp turns (like maneuvering in a parking lot) is indicative of 'torque bind'. Try using the spare fuse in the FWD only slot in the fuse box under the hood. Check the manual for spare tire use info. Have you recently used an emergency spare or odd sized tire or driven on a flat?

search here and over at

for 'torque bind'.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks a bunch Carl. I put a 15 amp fuse in the FWD box, the FWD light shows on the dash. The problem is gone. Of course not really. Now I've got to address the rear transfer case (er differential)? I'll save that for the shop. But I was wondering...will it hurt to leave the fwd fuse in and just drive it for a while? I've been searching for an answer on the Subaru site and can't seem to nail it down. Some say it can mess up the back end. Some say it doesn't hurt a thing. I just figured if it's all the same I won't worry about it anytime soon. The car actually drives a lot nicer now and hell, maybe I'll even get better MPG? I've taxed you enough already, but if you've got anymore input I'd love to read it.

Thanks again for the helpful post. Zach

Reply to
michaelis73

Shouldn't hurt anything to drive with the FWD fuse installed. If my memory serves correctly, I heard a Soob mechanic say you could install a switch to the fuse if you wanted to change on the fly, but you really don't gain much in the economy department, as you're still lugging the same car around and only adjusting where the torque is being sent. I doubt you lose enough torque in the rear drivetrain to gain much by sending it all up front. I know I never gained much (~ 1 - 2 MPG) when I drove in FWD mode for a week.

Not sure why I don't hear more folks use the term on the forum here, but I believe Subaru calls the back-end / 3rd stage of their tranny the "final drive", which does the job of, but is not exactly the same as a transfer case / differential combo. I suppose the term may only apply to the auto tranny model, but I think I've already exceeded my pay grade. (-;

~B

Reply to
strchild

The system isn't designed to operate 24/7 in that mode so , no one can say for certain when the TCU or the Duty C Solenoid will 'complain' about it. There's a huge long thread about the 2WD/AWD/4WD 'switch' mod at

along with arguments about the 'right' way to do it. I'd say you're probably good for a week or 2 or 3 anyway - who knows. The center diff wet clutch pack is in the tailshaft of the tranny. You should know that SOME folks have had success at clearing this issue up by performing several successive fluid drain/changes and/or having a true tranny 'flush' done once or twice.

good luck

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan