1997 outback. Problem accessing hatch

Hi all:

I can't open the rear hatch on our Outback. This happened before about two years ago. We took it in to the dealer and they "fixed it" by lubricating the linkage inside the door.

I can't figure out the correct way to remove the plastic panel inside the car. Do you just pull hard up on the panel, or do I need to pop out those 'Ribbet' like plastic caps. And will they break and need to be replaced afterward?

THANKS,

~~Phil~~

Reply to
Phil Marshall

I have had problems opening the hatch on my 97 OBW if it was not closed completely. If this is the problem it can be forced closed by bumping it hard with your own rear end :-)

I have at other times the spring could not return the mechanism to the proper position due to rust on the hinge pins of the external release handle. These pins can be lubricated from outside the car. I have never need to lubricate any part of the latch mechanism that was inside the hatch.

-- Vic Roberts Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

Most likely same mechanism on the 97 Brighton. Mine won't unlock sometimes, but usually turning the key back and from lock to unlock, and simultaneously playing with the handle - its never failed. Sometimes some WD-40 just on the outside (as per first response) makes it better for a while, but I'm just content with jiggling the key and latch. Again...its never failed after a couple times.

Jim

Reply to
kaplan3jiim

IIRC some of these problems on soob hatches require you to push IN on the release handle first.

not sure - try a search at

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

yes. i think what usually works for me is pushing it in while turning the key to the lock position, then unlocking & pulling.

Reply to
kaplan3jiim

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Thanks, I finally got it open. I used the key in the hatch and tried locking-unlocking it several times. Then while holding the key in the full unlock position I pulled on the handle and it OPENED. !!

The car is 98% rust free, but man-o-man has that hatch handle assembly rusted apart !!

Reply to
Phil Marshall