Hatch release

Are there any known issues with the electric hatch release on a 2003 UK spec focus?

Mine stopped working a couple of weeks ago, and won't release either via the switch on the dash or by the button on the remote. It does of course still open the old fashioned way - manually with the key.

It appears completely dead - there is no noise from it at all when pressing either button (like it might be trying to release and failing for a mechanical reason), so I suspect it is an electrical problem.

Would appreciate any pointers that I can easily check myself before getting the dealer involved - even though it is still under warranty, that would be my option of last resort based on past experiences with them ;-(

Just checked my owners manual to see what fuse it might be on as a starting point and I can't see the hatch release listed under any of them - any suggestions??

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
MarkA

In alt.autos.ford.focus MarkA :

Had recently problems with the remote key-fob on the right rear door, see this thread:

There was another thread which might be helpful (key-off method to reset the system):

Lately the system broke down again, the drivers door. Ordered the door bolt containing the sensible parts, costs exactly the same 106,? Euro the rear one does.

Now after finding the time to exchange, it isn't that obvious like the rear ones, fearing a few hours of work just put things together again even if it was nearly out. Now what would you expect, since this day the system works just fine again. We'll see how long.

The problem seems not completely uncommon, my Focus is 1999 (wagon). Do you have this double-locking system, comes AFAIK with alarm system

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Thanks for the suggestions, I do have the alarm and double locking system (deadlocks), but this appears to work perfectly, it is just the hatch (tailgate) release that will not operate. The fact that it will not operate from the dash mounted button seems to rule out alarm system issues to my mind - although I am happy to be corrected on this if someone knows better!!

If the release is on the same fuse as the central locking (?) then this would rule out a blown fuse and seem to indicate that the fault is with the release solenoid as suggested in one of your links above.

When time permits, I will see what access to it is like & report back

MarkA

Reply to
MarkA

I had the same problem on a 2000 Focus and it turned out that a plastic component in the lock mechanism had broken. IIRC, the key still worked, but that too gave up after a week or so. The only way I could open the hatch was to pull the trim off from the inside and force a screwdriver into the rear of the mechanism and 'pop' the catch.

I sourced a replacement mechanism from a salvage yard at a cost of a tenner.

Reply to
Paul Gibson

"Paul Gibson" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I've got the same and there was no 12 Volt on the locking of the hatch and I have clean the connetor in the left of the car and spray some WD40 in the lock on the the hatch and everething was working well.

regards Jaap

Reply to
Japio