1998 Forester - Emissions Testing Drive Cycle

Hi: My Forester had a weak battery so I brought it in for the once over. The shop let the car sit for a week and during that time the battery went dead. I received a call that they couldn?t do the Pennsylvania Emissions test because they get a "not ready for testing" code. I am told that is due to their letting the battery go dead and the computer resetting! Now I am told I need to run the car until it goes through the "drive cycle" and the computer reads "ready for testing." Does anyone know what the "drive cycle" (I believe that is the phrase they used) for my 1998 Forester?

Thanks in advance,

Dave aka Cranky

Reply to
Cranky

I have a laptop-based code reader/engine monitor and I've seen that sort of message from my '99 legacy. I think it means you have to get the engine up to temperature and possibly to highway speeds to light off the catalytic converter so that the computer can check everything.

I'm surprised the clowns didn't just do that, or at least call you and ask to do it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

You brought it in to have them check the battery and charging system and they let it set for a week???? And you let them???? How long does it take for an oil change? A month??

Run away, screaming, from these clowns and don't ever go there again.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of youth that doth not grow stale with age." ---- J.W Muller

Reply to
George Adams

Attribution error. I was not the OP.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

If I had a jerk for a mechanic like you have, I would be more than "Cranky" :!(

Check with your Subaru dealer of the exact drill necessary to "reeducate" the computer. I just drove my '99 Forester normally for two days after a battery failure and it was fine.

The car has to be up to normal operating temperature for smog testing. The car will show as "not ready for testing" if the engine is not at full operating temperature. I wonder if this jerk even bothered to do that?

Reply to
Subbies Two

I think that more has to happen if the codes have been cleared. When I hooked up my laptop and OBD II probe to my car and cleared the codes, the computer reported that certain tests hadn't completed even though I let the engine get up to temperature. I think that you actually have to take it out on the road for all the tests to run to completion.

Now this does not lessen the jerkage of the mechanic involved, just a little more information.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I've always felt sorry for my neighbors in PA that must have the most odious inspection system in the US. This nonsense used to be every 6 months but are now annual:

in DE, on my new Forester last year, I could buy a 5 year registration.After that, it is a drive through every 2 years.Pulling wheels and checking brake wear in PA is ridiculous. Residentsshould continue to object.Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

IIRC, the computer should "retrain" itself after several days of normal driving. When brought in for emission testing, the engine should be at normal operating temperature.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of youth that doth not grow stale with age." ---- J.W Muller

Reply to
George Adams

Cranky wrote in news:411278dc$1_4 @news.athenanews.com:

I had a similar situation occur when my 2003 Forester showed a CEL 2 days before it was due in for inspection (dealer replaced the #2 plug and wire under warranty). Anyway, I got the same story from my Subaru dealer ("We can't inspect it because the codes aren't set.") After giving the service department an earful and stopping in the sales department to tell them that after purchasing 2 vehicles there I wouldn't be back (ever!) I took it to a local mechanic for inspection. Luckily I had been forced to make a road trip of about 100 miles after I left the Subaru dealer and by that time the codes were fine for inspection. My mechanic told me that there is a set procedure (so many minutes at 25-35 MPH without touching the brakes, so many at 35-45, so many at 45-55 etc). In fact he mentioned that he has in the past taken customers' cars out on a loop he's defined to set the codes after they've been cleared and it takes about 30 minutes. My suggestion would be to take your Forester out onto the interstate and drive it at varying speeds for 30 to 45 minutes and that should do it.

On a side note, from what I've read here and my own personal experiences, Subaru service departments are staffed by the biggest bunch of jerks on the planet. I've already decided that unless I have an issue that is without a doubt covered by warranty, I'll never set foot in a Subaru service department. And don't get me started on them charging $40 to spend 5 minutes with an OBD code reader for an emissions inspection! At least I didn't have to worry about the morons trying to put it on a

2-wheel dyno!

- Snuffy -

Reply to
Mike Bender

I don't really understand the point of those inspections, I guess it's to keep the ultra-beaters off the road and also to protect the environment and what not. Here in Michigan they tried to get those silly inspections going, but somehow or another it never got off the ground. I think drivers revolted or something. At any rate, I can drive a 1970's Cadillac running on one cylinder around town if I want to. 8) (And you'd be surprised how often I see things like that!)

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Follow the money. We call them auto repair shop full-employment laws.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Yes, you are correct. I should have stated that having the car at operating temperature was ONE of the prerequisites to get the car back in smog test ready mode. The car also needs to be driven. In some year Subbies , the car has to be driven and let cool down through several cycles before the "reset" is complete.

Mechanic??? :~)

Reply to
Subbies Two

Matt, I too was wondering what was to become of the re-instated smog-checks returning to Michigan (I live in Macomb County), so I did some searches on the subject yesterday. Essentially a study is currently underway to determine which areas in the state are the dirtiest, then that info will be used to form a plan of action. The results of the "study" are due by '07, and the "plan" is to be instituted by '08.

Ultimately it's another spoke in the wheel of the Federal takeover of the States. The District of Criminals is dangling money under the noses of bankrupt states in exchange for control. California is the most visible example but all the states are giving up their chartered sovereignty in exchange for loot. It's a gradual, insidious process.

The Federal state. Enemy of the state. State secrets, etc. It sucks. -Danny

Reply to
Danny Russell

smog-checks returning to Michigan (I

Essentially a study is

then that info will be

and the "plan" is to be

States. The District of

for control. California

chartered sovereignty in exchange

Interesting. I live in Kent County myself. I lost the highlight I had on this thread when I did a spur of the moment rebuild of the computer, so didn't read it until just now. Anyway, it's good to know that we're ok at least for now. I think that Michigan should remain free of such testing, the last great haven of automotive freedom. 0:)

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker